Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yea , I know its car audio , This is a wagon only problem ! Anyone do anything to improve the rear 6x9s on a wagon? i was thinking about either fiberglassing the open area so they are sealed or buying the foam 6x9 baffles on e bay. Or should I give up and go work on something else?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I actually sealed the speaker to the bottom side of the cargo panel with some 2" foam. That way I used the whole cavity of that area as a chamber. Works extremely well. You will like the difference.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
GM use to put the foam baffles on their high end cars with the upgrade factory sound system
if you happen to be in a junk yard take a look in the trunks of full sized boxy B and C body GM and you may find GM grey foam 6 X 9 baffles, I gotten them in most of my cars now

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I tried a little plastic basket built for 6x9s. It had very little volume and my ears claimed it made the sound more tinny.
Goldsswagon, are you talking about a piece of foam like you would take camping? How did you attach it and how big of a space did you create?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Goldsswagon, are you talking about a piece of foam like you would take camping? How did you attach it and how big of a space did you create?

What I did was to cut a piece of 2" thick foam roughly 8x11 then cut a 6x9 hole in the center of it and sat it over the metal bracket that the speaker is bolted to then pushed the panel back in place. Space wise it created all the area between the wheel wells and the tail lights since the speaker is now sealed against the panel. Think I have a picture at home, can post it this evening if you like.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Yeah, I used the baffles from my Fleetwood.

·
Super Moderator
9,110 Posts
GM use to put the foam baffles on their high end cars with the upgrade factory sound system
if you happen to be in a junk yard take a look in the trunks of full sized boxy B and C body GM and you may find GM grey foam 6 X 9 baffles, I gotten them in most of my cars now
Those have big slices in the back of them. They aren't sealed by any means. Not sure what GM had them there for (whether aesthetics or protection from luggage or whatever), but clearly it was for something.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was thinking about doing spray foam but sometimes that makes a mess. I will try the 2 inch foam, There is a foam place near my shop.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
someone on here made an enclosure out of MDF that fit under the factory plastic and effectively turned the speakers from bass reflex to acoustic suspension. write up most likely lost in the data loss....

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
2 18s in a 12 cuft enclosure will take care of that problem :)

LOL

Ive seen a wagon with just a baffle in the tailgate and 6x9s inside of them.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got 2 wagons , The 94 I got I want to keep stock looking so no 18s ect , The other black one is a different story! I also want to add a subwoofer like a 10 or 12 in the left rear panel to keep it stealth.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts