Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,909 Posts
Go to a retail parts place to have them read the code(s) and then list all here. If you find the faults and want to (easily) search them on your own, it's best to reference them as the more contemporary term, MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp).

CEL (Change Engine Light) is old school - LOL

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Definitely get the codes read. Any parts store can plug in and tell you codes for free. With 96 OBD2 cars you can get a cheap Bluetooth/Wi-Fi module for $10-20 on Amazon and read the codes (as well as other data) on your phone. Very convenient. You can also buy traditional code readers for under $50 as well and would be useful to have handy in the future. I keep one with my daily driver with the jumper cables and toolkit.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Reactions: 1slow96

·
Registered
28 Posts
what have you done to eliminate the CEL? for a 1996 SS
Yup, CEL lid up on 3 different SS I done for people. Your choice are...
* Narrow band O2 sensors, buy a high end Cel eliminator adapters for each sensor and last but not least with a 100% Guaranteed is the Programmer. Good luck

·
Registered
12,043 Posts
You need to get the system programmed to eliminate the sensor. It is probably the air pump, and the EGR. The other systems are not disturbed by the headers. If you removed your cats, you need to have the second set of O2 sensors programmed out as well.

Make sure you have some sort of heat shield on the headers, or the surrounding wiring, and hoses, or you may find the hoses, and wiring insulation melted in the near future.

Reactions: Lance

·
Registered
28 Posts
Agreed with you but also depends on where you live and how strict your state emissions required, even with Cel off does not guarantee the car will pass emissions test.

·
Registered
12,043 Posts
Agreed with you but also depends on where you live and how strict your state emissions required, even with Cel off does not guarantee the car will pass emissions test.
The OP should know up front if he has issues with his state, and modifications on his car. If his state has issues. and the state is going to check his emissions, then nothing should be done to change the car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The OP should know up front if he has issues with his state, and modifications on his car. If his state has issues. and the state is going to check his emissions, then nothing should be done to change the car.
Absolutely agreed, well said. If he continues on modified be ready with his finance and more finance. Few guys done similar things and have spent enormous amount of money to pass emissions and ended up stored their vehicle in garage here in my state.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts