Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just like the title says....i was thinking about trying it...i'm good a welding and have tools to cut the pipe....it doesn't look hard...i was going to set it up like its a 4into 1 setup with one collector near where the tranny starts

· Registered
3,886 Posts
Well i guess if you have ALOT of time and MONEY go for it...

There not expensive to just buy,and with so many (cheap) options i dont think you will get much feedback on making your own.

Now some twin turbo headers for lt1 b-bodys or headers for lsx swap would be interesting;)

· Premium Member
724 Posts
The collectors and merges are expensive if you want a quality part, but if you have the time and patience to work out a routing that fits then go for it. Do be aware that it's a major pain in the ass, however.

· Premium Member
8,750 Posts
I have no experience in this area......but I would hazard a guess that if you didn't get it right with the first attempt, it'd be a monumental waste of resources with a negative cost vs benefit ratio.

Still......if you 'go there', I wish you luck.......and would hope that you'd post a write-up with plenty of pics!!!

KW

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it would be for a lq4 swap that i hope to do soon....it just seems like the headers are all over $600 for a nice set....u can buy nice flanges for the ls1 type heads for $25 each and then buy a build ur own header kit with 1 5/8 primaries for around 150-200 for the nice set or under 100 for the cheaper stuff.....its a drag car so everything is open and out of the way...no inner fenders or anything...i could cut everything fit it into place tac everything for fitment and if i like it tac it some more and pull them off and weld them up

i know speed and performance makes them but if i remember right they are close to 700

· Registered
155 Posts
Just put the flange on the motor and start putting small sections or prebent tubing in and figure out how it needs to route to clear everything. Work with just one cylinder at a time and when you have the curves worked out use a marker or something and draw a line through the joint so that you can line it up and tack weld it on a bench. Then refit it to make sure the pipe stayed in line while welding. Then move onto the next cylinder and do the same procedure.

If anything is out of line you can snap off the weld if you didn't use a large tack and that way you won't be wasting material. If you manage to get a really great setup designed then you can even send it out to a company to have it used as a template for reproduction ;)

Just remember to use the cheap materials for the first piece since it'll just be for test fitting and layout anyway. Then use those measurements and angles with good materials for the final version.

· Registered
222 Posts
I built a set for an S15 V8 swap years ago. It was'nt that difficult. Time consuming.. but not difficult, and I was happy with the result.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.