Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a quick search prior to posting this so forgive me if this has been discussed before, but I was wondering if anyone has ever refurbished their headlight dimmer switches?

I'm curious if it's similar to the fuel pump sending unit and the contacts can be cleaned up to work better? Mine only seems to work at the brightest setting, and then it will cut the cluster lights out on/off occasionally until I scroll the dimmer switch back and forth.

I wanted to do some research before pulling my lower dash, as it's got some broken mounting tabs already, so I don't like to pull it unless I have to hoping some others don't break.

Thx!

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
I have not had 1 apart before but would suspect it has a similar resistive circuit as the sending unit. If so and you can manage to get the switch apart, then you may just be looking at dirty contacts that can be cleaned up. Pretty sure the Twightlight Sensor timer switch is the exact same part just used differently. Let us know what you find out and I may have a switch already out of the car I can check maybe later this evening.

·
Registered
8,518 Posts
maybe using electrical contact spray from the front on either side of the wheel will penetrate contacts to clean them.

pics of what are listed as "dimmer switch"
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=98275&cc=1049701&jsn=478

or "instrument panel dimmer switch" on RA.com,
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=943011&cc=1049701&jsn=483

I can't tell if how this spray would enter the contact portion of the switch with the switch mounted

....assuming either of the RA pics are showing what the actual switch looks like

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
They have different locating pins from the TS timer. I believe the TS timer does not have the heat sink.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts