Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a running Caddy 500/400turbo in my old truck and as soon as i get me a new daily, im pulling the drivetrain, rebuilding it. and putting it in my 91 caprice ( my first car).. ive seen the caddy swap in some other vehicles but never a caprice. shouldnt be too bad, as the distributer is on the front of engine... regardless of the difficulty, its goin in the car... anyone have any info, pics, or tips regarding this swap?

·
Registered
581 Posts
It may work. Legally it wouldn't be allowed as it is not allowed to install an older model year engine into a newer vehicle(though the reverse is allowed). If you have emission testing in your area it will fail the emissions check. And because of that may run into issues when you go to sell the vehicle. If it will physically work that's another question as you will have to see if it will physically fit into the engine compartment, it may be too tall so you may have to notch out the hood and put a hood scoop or cowl induction setup on. Good luck whatever route you take. - Peter

·
Registered
65 Posts
I can't give much on fitment, but there's some second hand recommendation I can pass along.

Go another route unless you just want to have a Caddy 500 in there.

My understanding is that the aftermarket is not that great for these engines and parts are higher than other avenues. The stock rated horsepower runs from 400 down to 190 HP (depending on year) and torque from 535 to 360. I'd imagine mileage wouldn't be great either.

If you want dependable power, I'd go another route. If you want a 500 cadillac cubic inch engine from the 70s and cost / reliability are no issue, and you don't need to have it inspected, by all means, go for it.

And then the whole 'federally illegal' deal as mentioned above. :)

(Recommendation based on similar conversation from about 8 years ago that I had with a knowledgeable gentleman and an old friend.)

·
Registered
65 Posts

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
I can't give much on fitment, but there's some second hand recommendation I can pass along.

Go another route unless you just want to have a Caddy 500 in there.

My understanding is that the aftermarket is not that great for these engines and parts are higher than other avenues. The stock rated horsepower runs from 400 down to 190 HP (depending on year) and torque from 535 to 360. I'd imagine mileage wouldn't be great either.

If you want dependable power, I'd go another route. If you want a 500 cadillac cubic inch engine from the 70s and cost / reliability are no issue, and you don't need to have it inspected, by all means, go for it.

And then the whole 'federally illegal' deal as mentioned above. :)

(Recommendation based on similar conversation from about 8 years ago that I had with a knowledgeable gentleman and an old friend.)

Incorrect there is an aftermarket for caddi 500s. They are awesome motors and can easily make 400-500hp along with 600-700lbft.

Who cares what they make stock, we dont keep stuff stock and whats wrong with almost 500TQ.

BTW I bet you guys didnt know these weigh less then a Chevy BB.

They can be bored out to .125" on stock without concrete.

They are just an awesome platform. I wanted to find one, and put in my car. One day.......... ONE DAY.

Check the forum.

http://www.cadillacpower.com/forum/

Guess what it can fit too :D

Forum where that guy was. (I contacted him, he never pm'd or emailed me back) :(

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Another thing too, the distributor is in the front of the motor, and anybody that ever worked with a TBI SBC in a 91+ B-body knows, that the distibutor in the back is tough to work on under the cowl.

~HJ

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Another thing too, the distributor is in the front of the motor, and anybody that ever worked with a TBI SBC in a 91+ B-body knows, that the distibutor in the back is tough to work on under the cowl.

~HJ

Try it with a TPI ontop of that.........:(

I def know the feeling.

I wanted to do this mod so bad, but I couldnt find a motor.

Well recently I found a guy who was selling 2 500s, :( for about $700.

Man you can even put a 200hp shot on these things no problem.

Do IT...............

·
Registered
864 Posts
I got a running Caddy 500/400turbo in my old truck and as soon as i get me a new daily, im pulling the drivetrain, rebuilding it. and putting it in my 91 caprice ( my first car).. ive seen the caddy swap in some other vehicles but never a caprice. shouldnt be too bad, as the distributer is on the front of engine... regardless of the difficulty, its goin in the car... anyone have any info, pics, or tips regarding this swap?
Do your thing man, do your thaaaaaang!

You will in fact have mountain moving torque. Mountains son.

Oh, and there's no time like the present.

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
The 500 Caddy is probably the best big block of the 70's that can actually still be found and there's a decent aftermarket for them. I've got one on a stand and one under a bench at the shop and I think there's still one in my folk's garage. If things ever straighten up with my health I'll get to do something with them...

Regarding "federally illegal"... *snork*

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Try it with a TPI ontop of that.........:(

I def know the feeling.

I wanted to do this mod so bad, but I couldnt find a motor.

Well recently I found a guy who was selling 2 500s, :( for about $700.

Man you can even put a 200hp shot on these things no problem.

Do IT...............
I have a spare 500 in my Dad's shed from my parts car I ripped apart ten years ago when I was 19. Someday I will do something with it. It ran good when parked, but they are so cheap to rebuild I would go that route. I want to fuel inject one someday (not the factory bosch fuel injection crap).

The thing about that caprice with the 500 is, why the hell didn't he swap it to HEI. I am assuming it is a 70-74 motor, but even still, it is an easy swap and a good upgrade. I hate looking at that coil laying on the engine. Just me picking nits though.

Another thing is, when you tell people about a stock 500, like the one in my caddy, they turn their noses at the 190HP number. But I tell them to think of it like a diesel, low HP and Good low end torque. It may not win any speed races, but it can move a house if the need presented it self. My caddy 500 has never even had the valve covers off, and it had 120K miles, and I still have to be gentle on the gas at stop lights cause it will make mince meat of the 10 year old 235/75R15's that are on it with little effort.
~HJ

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
first of all, thanks for the overwhelming response... if my mind wasnt made already, it is now... sorry it took so long to reply but here goes
"
It may work. Legally it wouldn't be allowed as it is not allowed to install an older model year engine into a newer vehicle(though the reverse is allowed). If you have emission testing in your area it will fail the emissions check. And because of that may run into issues when you go to sell the vehicle."
- where im from there is no emissions test. heck, you dont even need to have the vehicle present to register it. just a signed title will do :).... and for resale value? the caprice was my first car, its resale value is much higher than anyone would ever pay.

"Go another route unless you just want to have a Caddy 500 in there.
If you want dependable power, I'd go another route. If you want a 500 cadillac cubic inch engine from the 70s and cost / reliability are no issue, and you don't need to have it inspected, by all means, go for it. "
- i already have the engine, 400 turbo, and 12-bolt rear end in perfect running condition... so yea, im going that route. lol. and your right on the hp/tq numbers, mine is the low comp. version with 245hp/465tq... but if you'll check out http://www.cad500parts.com/catalog/page10.htm, you'll see some test builds... the one i want to replicate gets 368hp and 522ft/lbs with the low comp. heads... thats a completely oem rebuild with the only aftermarket parts being a very mild RV cam, an intake, and rockers.... and all that torque at around 2000rpm... if i never really have to rev it high, the engine is going to last.. see how reliable most small blocks making that power is..
this was the days whem cadillac made quality engines (being a formerly pissed off northstar owner and all....)
-and why build a caddy? i borrowed an answer from cad500parts.com :
"These engines are also very light for their size, being within 60 Lbs of a small block Chevy, while still being tougher and more wear resistant due to the high quality materials and castings. They have numerous other advantages, including easy access to the distributor and oil pump, dry (no coolant passages) intake, individual ports (not siamesed to lower production costs while hurting flow), conveniently angled spark plugs (easy access in the tightest of installations), and internally balanced, eliminating the need (and inefficiency) of external balancing. "

-thanks for the pics killerzracing71, i was beginning to wonder if it had been done before... nice to know, but i kinda wished it hadnt been done lol.

"Do your thing man, do your thaaaaaang!

You will in fact have mountain moving torque. Mountains son.

Oh, and there's no time like the present."
-pshh...what mountains? lol... with the drivetrain in my 78' c10 it doesnt skip a beat... and i have pulled two cars with it (contour and crown vic).. if not for the mirrors, you would have never known they were behind you..
-also, lookie what i found not even 30 miles away:
http://www.cadillacperformanceparts.com/index.php?option=com_contact&Itemid=28
if for nothing else, to have an gas guzzling 8.2L caprice breathing out of two cherry bombs in a day when everyone else is going green would make me a very happy man.. :)
it will probably be the first of next year before i can even get started on it, but rest assured, a full buildup with lots of pictures will be posted on here. thanks again guys

1 - 14 of 14 Posts