Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a squeek for a while, and a couple of the Doom brothers told me to change the idler pulley first. It was going fine, and seemed like the easiest maintenance I'd done in a while, but when I started up the car with the new pulley, the noise was worse. I took the belt back off and turned the new pulley by hand, and it was binding. So I take it back off, and this is what I find. Obviously, the old one had been self-clearancing for a while, and the new one was probably hitting it just a little different.
Anyone seen anything like this before? Do I need to change out the entire assembly for the pulley, or can I grind down the piece that is sticking up and hitting the pulley?

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
I have always replaced the entire assembly. It was only $30-40 and two bolts.

Yeah mine was like that, and it only caused a nosie when the AC was on, and everyone said it was the AC clutch doing it. If only I had changed the tensioner first I would have saved $600 in new AC compressor and install cost. I always replace entire unit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, bit the bullet and changed out the whole thing. That piece that was causing the problem sure is strange. I guess something broke on the inside and popped that little triangle out, hitting the pulley. It's also broken on the back side.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Looks like you got ALL of your money out of the original piece.

Now go see if you can get some of that 'Cash for Clunker's' money if you trade it in!

....the tensioner, not the car...

;^)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.