Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-35103/ is the kind of hanger provided in the Pypes cat-backs.
Looks like the bolts are a biotch-can't get the socket or barely an open wrench it. I have to get a closed one from work in the morning...
So anybody get them off?

· Registered
34 Posts
I cant rember for sure, but I might have used a Gear wrench (13mm?--). anyhow, once you get the bolts broken loose, you can shift the bracket enough to one side or the other to allow easier acces to spin the bolts off.

· Registered
200 Posts
I got my brackets off with a 13mm socket and long 3/8 drive ratchet. I'm putting them back on and removing the stock muffler brackets from the old mufflers and welding them to the new Pypes street pro mufflers so I can use the stock mounting set up. The brackets that come with the Pypes kit work ok, but I think they transmit too much sound and vibration into the interior.

· Registered
1,824 Posts
I don't remember having issues getting those brackets off with socket. Cutting the hangers off the stock mufflers with an angle grinder, then welding them onto the the new mufflers is the way to go. Unless the mufflers are a thin case type, like Summit Super Turbo's.. Welding those mufflers is really tough. I had to weld a rod to the hangers, then weld the rod to PIPE.

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The mufflers look thin. I will take one to work weds and see when my welder says(I work in a marine shipyard)

· Registered
1,782 Posts
I welded hangers directly onto the over axle pipes. Coupled w/ stainless band clamps, this allows for easy interchange of any muffler out there provided it's of the 14" variety. Might want to consider doing this if you're planning on welding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.