Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here have any experience with the older benzes? my girl is looking to purchase a 89 SEL benz and i was wondering how good of a car they are. reliable? any common problems i should be awarw of? Easy to maintain? its a great deal i think, One owner, 122K miles, maintenance records.they are asking $1800. she really likes this car but i thought i would ask my fellow members here for some input if any.
thanks

·
Premium Member
5,791 Posts
I have some experience with old Benz's!

One time, oh, 25-years ago, my dad's Cadillac stopped running on the side of I-80, and a guy in an old Mercedes from like the 1970's picked us up and drove us to the truckstop.

Also, Lebanese guy that owned the car wash I worked at when I was younger had a great big gold 80's Mercedes that he actually brought over here with him from Lebanon. He was a horrible driver. One time I was riding with him and he almost ran over a guy, then he stopped and rolled down his window to apologize. He managed to get the driver's door caved in at one point, so he found a green door someplace. He tried to spray paint it gold, but it was a horrible job.

:D

·
Registered
443 Posts
Those are the best cars made in the history of the whole entire world.
Your thinking of the 123/126 series last built in 85-86. Probably the most dependable car ever built and most are still running as taxi cabs everywhere except here in NA.

The 89 SEL is a nice car but no where near the "S" class (126). Has a much better interior and lots more buzzers and bells but that also comes with multiple layers of electronics that are problematic. The gas engines are not trouble prone especially the 4.3. Stay away from the 5.6 as they are a money pit. If it has the 6 cyl diesel, make sure the con-rod recall has been done, if not, you are SOL as it only applied to original owners.

In general these are good cars but the repair costs, when needed, are through the roof. For some reason the aftermarket can't seem to make parts that perform as well as the factory. For instance, went through three complete sets of aftermarket calipers in 18 months due to siezing. bought the factory ones and have not had a problem since. Lots of special tools needed and they are not particularly DIY friendly (same attitude as the dealers).

Typically the 89s get 3 to 4 grand so the selling price of 1,800 is suspect. May turn out to be an expensive lawn ornament. Keep looking for an 85-86 "S" class diesel with the 5 cylinder. Much better car.

Bill

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol..o where would we be without the great comedic contribution from all you wonderfull fellas.
for real tho.. anyone got any real help?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks bill, im not sure what size the engine is yet but he said it was a straight 6. does the connecting rod recall aply to stricktly diesel? do you think its still worth it to poke a lil deeper into?

·
Registered
443 Posts
thanks bill, im not sure what size the engine is yet but he said it was a straight 6. does the connecting rod recall aply to stricktly diesel? do you think its still worth it to poke a lil deeper into?
Yes I believe it only applied to the diesel. Actually after the con-rod replacement, these diesels turned out to be quite a good engine, not as brick solid as the 5s, but a good engine non the less. If its a straight six, it is more then likely the 4.3. Think the 5.0 (500) and the 5.6 (560) were both V8s. Have been told to avoid the 8s like the plague.

Would look real close at the car. Could be its so cheap because the guy discovered real (read expensive) problems and is trying to unload it.

Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts