Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I'm trying to fix my trailer and can't find hubs to fit my axle spindles. Inner axle bearing diameter is 1 3/8" and outer is 1 1/4". Someone told me that this is a standard Chevy hub setup, but for which vehicle? There isn't enough data online and the parts guys only know what's in their computer. Anyone know of a hub/bearing/race combo that would work? Hoping for 6-5.5 as I have rims and tires to fit. I can do something else if necessary. Just need the trailer asap. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, but they tell me that those hubs are not available anymore. Was told that a standard chevy hub has those two bearings, 68149 and 67048, but I can't seem to find anything that will take those two bearings. Thanks for the info, but I already went down that path. Still hoping that someone has a thought?

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
If you look carefully, your outer is the same as our inner. That is the 1.25 id

Where the wheels fall off is the other number .
Our M12649 is .8437 outer
Your 68149 is 1.378 inner

Add to that, our hub is,an integral hub on a 5x5 pattern

pretty much a full on non starter.

While there mught be something automotive out there, my experience with trailer stuff is they normally have a different in the out size ratio.
As in for a given inner dia, the trailer axle outee is typically larger than a car-truck set.

Impala set 3 and set 6 below

LM67048+LM67010-Set6 Tapered Roller Bearing 1-1/4x2-21/64x5/8
Reference: LM67048/10 - A6

Set Sizes: ID 1-1/4 x OD 2.328 x W 5/8 Inches
Tapered Roller Bearing Complete Set including Cone LM67048 + Cup LM67010 - Set# 6

M12649/10 - A3 Taper Roller Bearing Set 0.8437x1.9687x0.69 USBC M12649-M12610
Reference: M12649/10 - A3 USBC

Sizes: ID 0.8437" x OD 1.9687" x W 0.69" Inches
Taper Roller Bearing Set Cone M12649 + Cup M12610

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
So, I would guess if the 1.25 1.375 4200 hub is an orphan as you say it is.,
One option would be the 5200 K stuff that uses the larger 1.75 inner
Either step sleeve the axle up to the larger bearing or the hub down to your original 1.378 .

Thats all I got

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had thought that the Astro van used the 68149 inner bearing at one point. I found a reference to it here a while back, or so I thought? Perhaps I am mistaken. I had also seen a reference to a chevy truck hub with that bearing setup, but cannot find it now that I need it. I do see your point and appreciate the help, thank you! I will figure this out. Sleeving is something I had considered, as well, but I'll have to find a lathe, as I no longer work somewhere that has one. Sleeving will make it a pain if it ever has to be reworked again, but most likely not in my lifetime. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
they tell me that those hubs are not available anymore.
and the parts guys only know what's in their computer.
Hard to tell from those statements if you have tried once or hundreds of times.

I have worked on several trailers with over 45 year old running gear. The things that worked for me was persistence and willingness to travel. I find chat and emails did not get me far but phone calls and in person visits did. With the original parts, pictures, measurements, and drawings in hand the "counter guy" will sometimes pass the issue to the "guy who knows". This approach works for tracking down any part. Once I get a part number I search for "crossover numbers" and superseding numbers. My brief interactions with trailer parts lead me to believe that there is more interchange between manufactures than in the automotive sector Companies like Briggs&Stratton have new part numbers for 60 year old parts but you have to get the the "parts guy" to look instead of just saying "it is too old". Try spreading the search to big cities and small towns. There is probably stock sitting on a shelf somewhere with a layer of dust on it. Rural auto parts shops, RV dealers, and repair shops, and welding shops that make custom trailers may have private part stock.

The short version is once I had part numbers I found a trailer repair shop that had parts in their personal stock that they kept for a regular customer that was not regular anymore.

For another project It was just about cheaper to have new axles custom made than track down and replace the parts that needed to be replaced. The tip over point is also how what for, and where the trailer is used. Do you really want to revisit the issue of hard to obtain parts far from home base and on a time sensitive schedule?

Anyone know of a hub/bearing/race combo that would work?
You may find this combination but will the brake drum line up with the shoes when you do? A 4.4K lb axle requires brakes in most parts of the world.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts