Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, I have alot of gearhead friends and we all bash r/c cars together. Something to do other than turn wrenches.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I had a couple Castoroil (sp?) r/c cars but me and my lil brother tore them **** up playing destruction derby....

Between those and the Power Rangers with those 25 cent vending machine football helmets and playing football with em we tore those ****s up

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've got about 6 cars that I haven't run in about 2 years. I think it will definitely something to get going on this summer. Anyway here's my list of cars:
Traxxas Revo 3.3
Traxxas Jato with a 3.3 swap
Traxxas rustler with a Novak GTB brushless (It was the original, I'm not sure what else is out there now. But it FLIES.)
Traxxas Nitro rustler 2.5. I don't think it will run anymore, it was my first gas r/c and seriously beat the crap out of it.
Team Losi XXX-S. Don't know much about it, but it had a cobalt 8 or 9-turn that blew 3 Unlimited ESC's :mad:
Some old Tamiya with a gold chassis. It's pretty neat. The body is all hard plastic and I tried to modernize it by putting oil shocks, high power servos, novak esc with a 17 turn brushed motor. Never got around to finishing it though.
I'm glad you brought this thread up, I really want to get mine running again.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
I have an HPI Nitro MT that my son and I play with. Parts are a bunch cheaper than for the SS and it is a little eaiser to wrench on in the winter since I can do it indoors.

I always have enjoyed them though....I had a Thunder Tiger EB4, full deal about $1500 in buggy motor and radio. Damn thing was so fast that I couldn't drive it without breaking it.

This HPI is much more "enjoyable" in that I have room now and my son shows some interest in it also.

·
Premium Member
10,064 Posts
Years ago (15+) me and a buddy raced a low budget Bolink (ever heard of them?) car. We raced against guys with all kinds of new stuff, in our basic car with months old tires and off the radioshack shelf batteries, and managed to finish in the top 5 regularly. He was a great driver.
I still have the old car, too. Technology has gon so far past it now, IDK if it could be restored.

·
Premium Member
5,791 Posts
I'm not a remote control car expert or anything, but I do have an HPI Nitro car that is pretty fun to mess with sometimes. I brought it to the ISSCA Nationals last year and made it do a bunch of spectacular mini-donuts. I do tend to lose control of it a lot, because I'm not a very good remote control car driver. Once I crashed it into AutocroSSer's real Impala in the hotel parking lot. Hope he never finds out. cwm3

·
Registered
746 Posts
Is that a crown vic body painted to look like an Impala? looks nice either way.

I have 3 rc cars that I've played with once or twice.. but I cant seem to ever figure out how to get them tuned right. Also, I'm looking for a motor right now with a pull carb instead of a rotary carb for a new project im working on.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
20 Years ago my 2 sons and I raced them all over the DFW area. We were pretty serious about it back then.

We had over $1500 in the RC car and parts galore. I guess it was the preview to my95SS days. Cause now I got losts of money in it and parts galore

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I used to be big into it when I was a Kid. I stopped when I had to pay for the parts I broke. I started with electrics, built up a few nice Team Associated RC10t's, Then I bought an Team Associated RC10gt and then things got really expensive. I have another RC10gt that I bought about 4 years ago, thinking I was going to get back into it. I haven't used in three years now.

~HJ

·
Registered
634 Posts
I have some old RC10s and team losi stuff. I have to move the stuff all the time in my storage area. Want to play again but keep remembering how expensive it can get.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I had a Losi LST2 that I beat to hell and back, rebuilt, then beat to hell and back...

It's currently boxed up waiting for a new engine an a few servos that it will likely never get.

It was definitely a blast.

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
I used to race them around in the street when I was maybe.. 11-14. A decade ago..It got too expensive. I usally rigged up all the cars just SO I could get another couple of hours out of them.. Glued them together, Made my own fastenters, They were totaly cobbled together for years. I still have everthing I didnt sell..

An RC10 T3. A traxxas Stampede, A kyosho mini z (anyone WTB that one?) and HAD a traxxas 4 tec. sold that one as a parts car

I kinda wanna sell them all but they bring no $$.. So I just keep them in a box and jump them.. Last time The transmission gears stripped out on the Stampede. Junk.

·
Registered
887 Posts
i have an rc10 t3 that's slow as ass that just sits, and an hpi savage with a retarded looking countach body that needs a few things but still runs pretty well.

i let the kid across the street drive the savage, and he hit pretty much every object within 50 feet of him... now i don't even bother to drive it unless i know he's not home

·
Registered
161 Posts
The problem with RC car stuff is it gets stale fast. As soon as the latest and greatest thingie comes out the one before it is worthless. That's something regular car guys can't get a hold of.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I had this as a kid.... sold it.

-ALF out..

·
Registered
887 Posts
The problem with RC car stuff is it gets stale fast. As soon as the latest and greatest thingie comes out the one before it is worthless. That's something regular car guys can't get a hold of.
i dunno if you're just screwing around in front of your house with them it doesn't seem to get old. my friends got an old nitro stampede and over the summer we'd drink beer and tear up and down the street with them all the time. the only time it got old for us is when he couldn't get his to idle without dying and we gave up on it

although i did get sick of my electric one, especially after i saw how fast the ones with brushless motors are.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts