Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The one source I knew of just evaporated. I called Speedtech a couple days ago and the guy said it's no longer available. Bummer because I was finally ready for purchase after I found out the ADTR Crown Vic 92+ model by Eibach won't fit the 96 Impala sedan. It would probably work with the B-body wagons, however. I've seen the Hellwig one that Choo adapted a mounting bracket for, but I'm no welder and need something bolt on and ready to go. I heard/read something about an old Chevelle one that might work, but I'd like to hear from someone with first hand experience. Seems like such a great concept. I can't believe there's nothing out there, just the conventional lower control arm mounted ones which are plentiful from several different manufacturers. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,909 Posts
First hit typing your title into search:

Uncertain if or how many still available new, but there may be leads on the GM and Ford alternates.

Reactions: Caddylack

·
Registered
7,731 Posts
1FAST94 made one for his own car to go drag racing with ... M ore complexity doesn't guarantee more effectiveness than the standard design that we are familiar with. Mike wanted adjustable end links to allow pre-load to be placed on one side or the other. Be interesting if he still uses it.

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
2,593 Posts
I just need to finishing fabbing some brackets for end links. The Trailblazer bar fits.

Honestly my biggest fear is that the Trailblazer bar will be too stiff. For clearance reasons, the end links need to be short and rigid. The sway bar is like 24 mm in diameter, I think. I will probably use soft bushings at the axle.

Reactions: SSandman

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
96Black, I read all 3 pages of the link you posted. Fascinating discussion with promising potential for the Trailblazer bar on the sedans. Sounds like clearance and attachment hardware options are the main considerations to address and nail down before it could actually happen. The project seems to have stalled, however. So we're back to the original question for something available now. I for one don't have the experience and know-how to take on something like this so I'm relegated to waiting on the experts to hammer something out that works.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just need to finishing fabbing some brackets for end links. The Trailblazer bar fits.

Honestly my biggest fear is that the Trailblazer bar will be too stiff. For clearance reasons, the end links need to be short and rigid. The sway bar is like 24 mm in diameter, I think. I will probably use soft bushings at the axle.
POOF! Wow, that was fast! Bravo, Caddylack!

·
Registered
1996 BBB
2,516 Posts
What exactly was discontinued from Speedtech, the bar itself or the end link kit?

I used their bar but used Detroit Speed bracket kit and spherical bushings from amazon to make my own brackets, I didn't particularly like the Speedtech ones, they just didn't seem as beefy as the DSE brackets.

If the bar was discontinued, see if you could find out the dimensions and diameter (if you can't find it I could measure mine). It shouldn't be hard to find something that matches up and most brackets / axle mounts are universal.

I really love my chassis mounted bar. I feel the rear binds up a lot less, the bar is way more efficient than mounting to the trailing arms and doesn't require such a stiff/heavy bar to accomplish the same task. It did create a little muffler clearance issues for me when I had huge 3" Spintech XL's but I ended up swapping to bullet muffs anyway.

1Slow96 What Mike ran was an anti roll bar, a little different from a typical chassis mounted sway bar. The anti roll bar setup is just for drag racing, not very street friendly. It is the same general idea of a chassis mounted bar but much beefier and usually uses a splined shaft with brackets welded to the axle. It's designed to eliminate body roll on a launch and is usually used on high HP cars when a typical sway bar isn't enough to handle those forces. Also allows for preload adjustment as you mentioned. It wouldn't articulate very well at all on a street car, wouldn't even be used on a road race/autocross car for that reason.

·
Premium Member
6,695 Posts
As long as the links do not get tangled up during body roll I see NOTHING other than rate that would make a drag race configuration not be happy on the street .
Make one insainly stiff bar for striaght line use , another for street-roadcoarse.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used their bar but used Detroit Speed bracket kit and spherical bushings from amazon to make my own brackets,
Mind sharing which DSE bracket kit and spherical bushings you used? links? Pics of your set up would be really nice.😁 What you have managed to put together sounds like what I want too. Since the Speedtech bar is not available anymore maybe a Trailblazer bar would work with the same hardware you have. I'm not sure if the end link kit from Speedtech is also discontinued because I didn't ask them that question. I would imagine it's still available as it's probably used with other bar and rear suspension upgrade kits they sell. I need to call them back for more info. If nothing else, it will be interesting to find out how their bar specs match up with yours.

I wanted their bar because it looks like it's the perfect (almost) fit between the exhaust pipe and coil over as "Fix Until Broke" pics show on a B-body sedan. My Borla exhaust pipes are 2.5" OD. The gap is 2" between the exhaust pipe and the edge of the new QA1 coil over spring on each side. I might be able to move the pipe over a little if it's a matter of a few millimeters with some bending of mounting brackets to get the bar to fit w/o rubbing. I'd be very grateful too if you would take the measurements of your bar so I know what to look for at a salvage yard. Maybe just list the specs for A,B,C,D as shown in the attachment pic (generic bar/ not Speedtech). Thanks!
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Circle
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Circle

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm looking at this bar as a possibility for '96 Impala. Anyone know if it fits w/o any fabrication needed for mounting brackets, etc.?
I also called Speedtech and Hellwig today. Speedtech said the 94-96 Impala bar and the mounting brackets/end link kit have been discontinued and are no longer available. He did not have the dimensions of the bar handy and put the road block up for retrieving them as "proprietary privilege of the engineering department only."
Same deal with Hellwig. No dimensions available.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow! I was searching the forum and found Choo's thread with the same Hellwig bar I was looking at as posted above. Now I know it won't quite fit without fabrication/modification of the mounting brackets at crossmember. But it is possible. Instead of fabricating the pieces needed I was hoping to find something similar to Choo's (pic) already available and use it for the mounting bracket.

Sunglasses Guitar accessory Vision care Musical instrument accessory Font
Sunglasses Guitar accessory Vision care Musical instrument accessory Font
Anyone have any suggestions for something like Choo's that might be readily available? I was looking at these as possible units that might work:

Automotive tire Font Rectangle Synthetic rubber Technology
Automotive tire Font Rectangle Synthetic rubber Technology

or

Font Technology Automotive exterior Automotive design Auto part

Thanks Choo and everyone else for the great advice and pics!

·
Registered
1996 BBB
2,516 Posts
As long as the links do not get tangled up during body roll I see NOTHING other than rate that would make a drag race configuration not be happy on the street .
Make one insainly stiff bar for striaght line use , another for street-roadcoarse.

That's the issue, as most i've used are designed for such a large diameter torsion beam and I don't know if anyone is making beams for those setups with soft enough spring rates to be comfortable on a street car. It's possible though, maybe look into some of the rock buggy setups as I think I have seen them run similar designs but with less beefy torsion beams.

sonuvah, I should be able to snap some pics for you this weekend. I can't even remember if I welded or bolted them on (I think maybe I wanted to weld them after bolting them on but now I can't remember if I actually did) lol . Whatever I did, it seems to be working fine. Eventually I wanted to go to some kind of a double shear mounting design and use a beefier greasable rod end but never got around to figuring that out. Shouldn't be hard, just haven't had the time and what i have been using hasn't given me any issue yet.

·
Premium Member
6,695 Posts
The stuff Iam looking at , refering to , you can make the bar anything you want by choosing the diameter and wall thickness of the piece of tube you make the main bar out of.
The last bars I actually made , I used 4340 tube from Aircraft Spruce

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I used their bar but used Detroit Speed bracket kit and spherical bushings from amazon to make my own brackets
Ok, great. Now we're getting somewhere. I could really use some measurements of the Speedtech 94-96 Impala sway bar you have also. Please refer to post #10 above. I especially need the measurements for sections A and B. I've been looking at a bunch of different alternative axle/frame mounted sway bars since the Speedtech one is no longer available. It makes it difficult when they don't list the measurements for sections A and B. I'm looking for a sway bar that will bolt onto the crossmember w/o having to fabricate an extension bracket, ideally. I don't understand it, but the Hellwig sway bar (68-72 A Body) Choo used the arms are too long by a couple inches (according to his pictures) and The Spohn Performance Chevelle #918 68-72 A Body sway bar arms are too short by about 2 inches. How could the arms on two separate sway bars for the same model car (68 -72 A Body) be so different by 4 inches? I called Spohn today and Steve said the arms are 8.5" long (section A) and the width (section B) is 31 inches on the #918 sway bar. Ok, thank again. I'm looking forward to your reply with specs.:)

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sway bar search update: It looks like the UMI Performance sway bar will fit the 96 Impala. I'm optimistically cautious as the numbers look good. UMI rep emailed me today: "The side to side measurement is 32.25" and the length of the sides from the curve to the end is 12". 16 1/8" from the center of the pumpkin on each side on the axle would land directly in the middle of the spring perches. But since the sway bar is mounted on the bottom of the axle tube this shouldn't be an issue. They have the red in stock and ready to ship, but the black would be 3-5 week wait. I'm going with the red and will just rattle can it black. No biggie.
1964-1972 GM A-Body 1” Tubular Rear Sway Bar - Chassis Mounted - UMI Performance Inc.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The sway bar is in now and the first test drive this evening on a quiet curvy road at speed revealed some good results. No sounds of tires rubbing inner fenders and the best part is no sounds of metal contacting metal through the corners. The new QA-1 coil overs and the frame mounted sway bar have firmed up the rear end quite appreciably. It just feels more stable in the turns. The replaced ST springs and huge/heavy 1.5" solid HO trailing arms mounted sway bar caused quite a bit of oversteer. There was quite a bit of tire scrub also because my car is lowered with wide wheels. So at this point I'm super stoked. Just need to get back in there and secure the brake cables to the axle. I will probably order those relocation lower shock mounts for the added clearance it appears they'd provide, maybe like 1/2". Also get the end links upper mounting brackets tack welded to crossmember. For anyone wanting to get this UMI sway bar it's a 3-5 week wait period according to UMI rep. I got the only one they had in stock direct from UMI.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's some pics of the sway bar mocked up in the mounted position. It actually fits a little better flipped upside down. The second hole on the bar ends line up perfectly with the crossmember above. When mounting it conventionally the angles are such that the arms are further from horizontal and the end links would be at an angle off vertical to attach to the first or second hole.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Wood Automotive exterior Shipping box
Motor vehicle Automotive design Wood Automotive exterior Shipping box
Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bicycle part Bumper
Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bicycle part Bumper
Bicycle part Tints and shades Automotive design Paint Font
Bicycle part Tints and shades Automotive design Paint Font
Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Tire
Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Tire
Fixture Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Auto part
Fixture Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Auto part
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Trunk Bumper
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Trunk Bumper

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sway bar search update: It looks like the UMI Performance sway bar will fit the 96 Impala. I'm optimistically cautious as the numbers look good. UMI rep emailed me today: "The side to side measurement is 32.25" and the length of the sides from the curve to the end is 12". 16 1/8" from the center of the pumpkin on each side on the axle would land directly in the middle of the spring perches. But since the sway bar is mounted on the bottom of the axle tube this shouldn't be an issue. They have the red in stock and ready to ship, but the black would be 3-5 week wait. I'm going with the red and will just rattle can it black. No biggie.
1964-1972 GM A-Body 1” Tubular Rear Sway Bar - Chassis Mounted - UMI Performance Inc.
Which diameter axle tube did you get?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts