Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had mine go kaput on me so I called my local dealer and got a new one. I got home and pulled it out of the box and it is a "universal" replacement unit. The electrical connector is different in that the original is attached to the case itself, the replacement is about 4" of wire hanging out of the case with a female connector on the end of it. The fan "squirrel cage" is about 3/4 to 1" shorter than the original, so it doesn't go all the way up into the air intake "port"(it moves a LOT less air than the original). Also, there are no provisions for air cooling of the motor itself. Which meant I had to duct tape the existing provisions in the case to seal a huge air leak. The darn thing also makes an annoying noise on #2 setting, and vibrates the whole dash on high.

Sorry for the rambling, but I am kinda frustrated. Has anyone else had these type of problems getting the right motor? For reference, the part # they gave me is 12491241. The # off the original is 5049497. All I want is the right darn motor. If anyone can be of any help, it would be really helpful. Thanks.

Tom Searle

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Tom,

I replaced mine last winter and it was a simple plug and play. The only thing I had to do was hack the factory connector and hardwire the blower motor since I was using a no name Autozone replacement.

Mine went in fine and the cage was the same size as the one I was replacing. Sorry I can't give you much help ,but it sure sounds like the gave you the wrong blower.

Good Luck,
Troy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have had to replace mine twice. Both times I went to a junkyard and got them for $40, then $25. Caprice and Roadmaster are the same. I have the buick one in my car now... I cant hear it unless it's on full. Hope this helps. Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used a generic from Canadian Tire. Had to cut the connector off the old wiring. Not as many blades on the cage, but it works fine. It was 1/3 the price of dealer...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GM catalogue says that's the right # for all 91-96 B bodys. For the record I bought a jobber one for my previous Roadmaster (92) from Four Seasons and when I took it out of the box it said AC Delco on it. Curious as I am I then ordered a GM motor which cost more and when I put the two side by side could not tell them apart including part # sticker right on the motor!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's because AC-Delco makes part of GM electrical componentry. Some radios in GM cars even say "AC-Delco" on the front.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I purchased mine from Autozone at a significant savings compared to factory. I snapped the connector off of the old original motor and soldered the wires from new unit onto this connector. Thus, I did not have to hack up my factory harness. It sounds like you got the wrong motor and fan even though it is in the right box.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.