Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really considering swapping the 305 out of my Caprice with a built 355 that runs an edelbrock 4 barrel. Anyone have any idea of what all needs to be done to do this? If I eliminate the fuel injected 305 should I do away with the stock fuel pump and maybe go with an electric Holley or something else? If I keep the stock transmission will I need to do anything to it? Can I eliminate the cars computer once the stock engine is gone? Any help or in site is greatly appreciated. I know its a big project but it is one of the final pieces I need to address on this car. Hopefully next spring she rolls out with the new interior and new engine cwm4.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Well the 700r4 is Mechanical, but the Tq Convertor is electronically locked up, if youd like to be able to retain that function there are ways to keep that working.

But what makes you wanna go carb'd?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm taking this engine out of my S-10 and putting it
The caprice.

I was thinking that it would be best to leave my transmission so I have over-drive. The transmission in the S-10 is a T-350 and I don't know much about it. This engine starts and runs awesome so I want to just do a simple swap if there is such a thing.

Maybe a new torque converter like this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G2704-13/

Whatcha think?
Thanks for tha help!

·
Super Moderator
6,000 Posts
Why not just put the TBI on that engine? Go with 9c1 injectors, and a custom PROM?

·
Premium Member
10,064 Posts
Not necessarily. If he's asking about the performance difference, then I think it's a valid question. Guys got a built motor in his s10 and he knows how well it runs. Will it still hit just as hard with the tbi? I'd like to know, too. How much power can a TBI setup feed anyway?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not necessarily. If he's asking about the performance difference, then I think it's a valid question. Guys got a built motor in his s10 and he knows how well it runs. Will it still hit just as hard with the tbi? I'd like to know, too. How much power can a TBI setup feed anyway?
Exactly. The engine runs like a raped ape as is. I can't imagine getting much more out of it going to tbi. It might but I just don't know.

·
Registered
914 Posts
if your trying to put a good hp motor in a tbi wont do the trick u will hav to upgrade to a diff efi system if you putting a step above stock then i would consider using larger tbi

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
if your trying to put a good hp motor in a tbi wont do the trick u will hav to upgrade to a diff efi system if you putting a step above stock then i would consider using larger tbi

Incorrect, its a ton of vehicles that put down numbers with TBIs.

All in all, its a throttle body with injectors inside.

Stock 305/350 TBs 500cfm
Stock 454 TBs 700cfm.

Im pretty sure your arent running a 1050 dominator on your car correct?

Theres a guy with a tinny 305 based motor that moves a 5500+lb van in the 14 second zone. cwm4 Its running a TBI.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Fast355#p/u/64/6XLXwAXkDHo

http://www.youtube.com/user/Fast355#p/u/65/Oi_n0goatA8

I cant find his van right now check www.thirdgen.org

Whats bad about 423 FWHP @ 6,500 and 415 ft/lbs @ 4,500.

Oh thats from a 312 CI

Its TBI too :D

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tbi/414991-312-tbi-track-times.html

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going to stick with the nice looking carb and buy
Some ceramic coated headers. While doing the swap
I can shave the firewall and frame and get the engine
Compartment paInted. I'm goiong to replace all the
BushinGs and ball joints wHile at it. This thing is going to
Snowball and cost me a fortune.

·
Registered
483 Posts
i did it

·
Registered
483 Posts
in illinois anything 95 and older doesnt get tested....so not sure about any other state

and your in indiana...im sure there emissions are way more forgiving

·
Registered
914 Posts
Incorrect, its a ton of vehicles that put down numbers with TBIs.

All in all, its a throttle body with injectors inside.

Stock 305/350 TBs 500cfm
Stock 454 TBs 700cfm.

Im pretty sure your arent running a 1050 dominator on your car correct?

Theres a guy with a tinny 305 based motor that moves a 5500+lb van in the 14 second zone. cwm4 Its running a TBI.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Fast355#p/u/64/6XLXwAXkDHo

http://www.youtube.com/user/Fast355#p/u/65/Oi_n0goatA8

I cant find his van right now check www.thirdgen.org

Whats bad about 423 FWHP @ 6,500 and 415 ft/lbs @ 4,500.

Oh thats from a 312 CI

Its TBI too :D

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tbi/414991-312-tbi-track-times.html
Killer not goin to hav a pissing contest with you. But thats not typical or average. The money you will spend buying a 454 body maybe injectorrs adapters and tuning you could buy a nice 750. I looked around for 9 months and all tuners and people who sell tha tbi say 350-375 hp max and than they dont reccomend it past that. Im just saying if your on a budget you cant beat a nice carb and ease of tunng

·
Registered
483 Posts
Killer not goin to hav a pissing contest with you. But thats not typical or average. The money you will spend buying a 454 body maybe injectorrs adapters and tuning you could buy a nice 750. I looked around for 9 months and all tuners and people who sell tha tbi say 350-375 hp max and than they dont reccomend it past that. Im just saying if your on a budget you cant beat a nice carb and ease of tunng

yea gunna have to heavily agree...

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sold the S-10 yesterday as a roller so it's a full steam ahead project on the engine swap. If things go as planned the Caprice will roll out this spring with a nice 355, fully shaved and painted engine compartment and new interior.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
yea gunna have to heavily agree...
TBI can and has made power. Some of us on www.thirdegn.org built a TBI Dominator that was two milled small block tbi units mated together on a dominator carb intake. Mine was on a 496 in my 91 caprice and made almost 700 lb/ft of torque before the chinese arp knockoff rod bolts failed. Tuning was and is key. I would love to still have this together since E85 came out, I never got a chance to run it. To the OP, If price is the only reason, then go for it on the carb swap. You already own the TBI stuff, buy the rest of the stuff you need and get the tbi tuned.

Chris

Chris

1 - 20 of 21 Posts