Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If so any problems? If I do run them they have the tires that were on my corvette lower profile on the front 17 inch and a bit higher profile wider tire on the rear . I know there will be huge fender gaps . I assume I can just get larger tires rather than lower the car . If I lowered it I would only lower the front and I assume to do it correctly it gets expensive. Anyone that is running them please share pictures and let me know how they perform or any issues I may come across.

·
Registered
649 Posts
If so any problems? If I do run them they have the tires that were on my corvette lower profile on the front 17 inch and a bit higher profile wider tire on the rear . I know there will be huge fender gaps . I assume I can just get larger tires rather than lower the car . If I lowered it I would only lower the front and I assume to do it correctly it gets expensive. Anyone that is running them please share pictures and let me know how they perform or any issues I may come across.
I run the Corvette C5 Wagon Wheels on my Impala with Race rubber. I have a full set of 18" for all four corners with a tire size of 305/660/18(equates to approximately 305/35/18).
I would guess that the C5 5spoke would be similar offset as the C5 Wagon Wheels.
You will need a 2" spacer to correct the offset.

Sorry as I do not have any side shots with the C5 Wagon Wheels.

My normal tires on my Impala rims are 275/40/17 and the gap is just fine with Moog 7268 Springs (front) and Speedway Motors TrueCoil springs (Rear)

Michael

·
Registered
649 Posts
I found a photo of my buddy that has the same setup as mine. Maybe you can get a better idea.

18" front and rear.

Reactions: 1994 Super Sport 2

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
This is stock 18" size 275/40-18 26.7" and front is still on stock FE1 springs which came with 215/75-15 tires 27.7"
Debating using the 275/40-18s, or going to 275.45-18 27.6" tires with very limited choices. Or stretching a set of 255/45-18 onto the 9.5" rims.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I would say keep the 275/40/18 and change the front spring to drop at least 1". I believe that the Caprice B4U was a little higher than the Impala, but I could be wrong.

Michael

Reactions: 91ss

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Oh yeah, springs are sitting on the shelf either way. Thinking for more sidewall for the rough roads we have here.

·
Registered
11,485 Posts
If you lower the front, you can correct for the negative camber by removing a 0.030 shim from each stack for every 1/2 inch of drop. You could also increase your caster by removing 0.060 from just the front stacks for first 1/2 inch of drop (on a 1 inch drop, more than 0.120 might be bit much for the front stacks, so remove even amounts for further 1/2 inches of drop). Drop should be measured from the fender lip to the top of rim before and after changing the springs. The difference is the correct drop measurement, because it eliminates the tire inflation and variation from wear. If you do not compensate for negative camber, your tires will wear more heavily on the inside. If you are racing having negative camber may be of benefit to a point, and depending on your sidewall height.

If you use drop spindles, you will get 1/2 inch more track width per side. You can reduce the thickness of spacers, or get a wheel with a 12 mm increase in offset (stock is +6 mm) for a total of +18 mm offset to put the centerline of the wheels in their original position in reference to the balljoint centerline, thus minimizing the stress on the steering linkage.

·
Registered
11,485 Posts
I'll just use my alignment gauges ;)
Not everyone has alignment gauges. I have done a number of drop alignments, and the numbers work down and dirty great without the gauges.

Reactions: 91ss

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the c5 17 and 18 inch staggered 5 spokes from my 2004 do not fit . The back wheel offset makes the rim touch the frame .
I got a set of 15 inch rally wheels with caps and rings . I’m going to paint them satin black and maybe purple like my impala later . Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
the c5 17 and 18 inch staggered 5 spokes from my 2004 do not fit . The back wheel offset makes the rim touch the frame .
I got a set of 15 inch rally wheels with caps and rings . I’m going to paint them satin black and maybe purple like my impala later . Thanks for all the help.
Of course they won't fit. All corvette wheels will have the wrong bolt pattern and varying offsets. For the 2004 18" wheels, you need a 2" adapter that goes from a 5x5 hub to a 5x4.75 wheel. That will put the wheel in same position as stock SS wheels.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Black satin rally wheels and cooper cobras tomorrow. I still have to clean and polish the caps and rings and give the wheels one more coat of satin black . I’ve always liked the look . I have the older rally’s and cooper cobras on my 68 Camaro SS also . Of course I’m going white letters in on the impala . I may have them painted to match the car later dark purple . With chrome caps and rings.

thanks everyone. I’ll post pictures when I get them on the car has a small drop in the frontI think the old rally wheels look good on these cars .
0C4CBB0B-CC6A-4B97-B4A2-9DCDEE8AE101.jpeg
2C1CF196-4DA4-4F49-A101-42DD090240A1.jpeg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Black satin rally wheels and cooper cobras tomorrow. I still have to clean and polish the caps and rings and give the wheels one more coat of satin black . I’ve always liked the look . I have the older rally’s and cooper cobras on my 68 Camaro SS also . Of course I’m going white letters in on the impala . I may have them painted to match the car later dark purple . With chrome caps and rings.

thanks everyone. I’ll post pictures when I get them on the car has a small drop in the frontI think the old rally wheels look good on these cars .
View attachment 198768 View attachment 198769
I ended buying 5 spoke chrome 20s to go back on the car . They were just 3 miles from my house 5 on 5 8.5inch and a deal at $200 . The tires... hankook ventus st are almost new-so basically I got a set of wheels for free . I can’t wait to get my impala back on the road and looking good I miss it . Now I have an extra set of black rally rims and tires I’m sure I’ll have no problem getting rid of them (that’s the spare in the picture not the rally wheels)
30483AD0-B7F5-47F6-97F9-9DB724202569.jpeg
060937E5-3FB9-44D0-9624-D46DFD7D1B5F.jpeg
DE4DE0B6-2D62-4A46-82FE-B8AF7913A957.jpeg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts