Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,999 Posts
I don't get why some new cars use/sell this feature. I guess it's too complicated to turn a key. :).

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
That is an option on a lot of new cars. My dad's 1964 Jaguar had a key for the ignition, and a separate button for the starter.

The auto lock/alarm can be a PITA if you have other people in the car, and they do not get out with you.

·
Registered
238 Posts
When I was a kid (in the 60's), my neighbor had an old 40's truck that you turned the key on then stepped on a button on the floor to start it!

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
When I was a kid (in the 60's), my neighbor had an old 40's truck that you turned the key on then stepped on a button on the floor to start it!
Its been a long time but I learned clutch on an old original Willys MB jeep, had the dimmer switch type starter button on the floor if I remember right.

when I was a teenager I worked a summer on a farm ranch, they had an early 40s dodge pickup with a starter foot pedal, it was near the gas pedal and pushing it down engaged the starter drive and hit the starter button mounted on the starter itself.
helluva fun truck to drive, me and the foremans son drove it all over the ranch.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I have driven several rental cars ranging from a Maxima, to a Dodge Journey, to a Charger that all had this feature. If you walk away from the car with the key fob in your pocket, it will shut down. It seems unnecessary, but I don't have a problem with it.
All of our '50's Ford products had push button starters that were used after turning the key on.
My '30's cars had floor starters, usually mounted above and to the right of the gas pedal. In those cars, the pedal directly activated the starter, no need for a solenoid. The 40's Ford products had a locking steering column and you had to push a button and flip a little switch when you turned the key on and then activate the starter with a floor pedal or dash button depending on the year and model.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.