Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Registered
360 Posts
Well since all previous posts went bye bye I guess we need some new ones as you can't search for old one. So my question is has anyone used SpeedTech Front control arms? If so did you use just the uppers or lowers or both? And what did you think of both the quality and performance?

http://www.speedtech-performance.co...ategory_id=-1/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd136.htm
The quality is top notch - we have sold a bunch of these arms to customers and have gotten rave reviews.

There are no fitment issues with the new generation arms that we're selling. The main benefits are increased positive caster and strength (strength is an issue when running coil overs).

Hope this helps!

Uppers:

http://www.powerperformancemotorsports.com/product.sc?productId=1751&categoryId=21

Lowers:

http://www.powerperformancemotorsports.com/product.sc?productId=1750&categoryId=21

· Registered
598 Posts
I used to have the uppers on, and they were awesome. I took them back off (for now) because they were pre-production prototypes that had wicked caster/camber built in, more than they wanted, so they adjusted the jig to have a more camber-friendly arm out of the box.

The arms I put on had right at, or just under, -2.0 camber.... no shims. That's arm to frame. They were shooting for -1.0 or so, if I recall. I put a small shim or two in the rear, and was at -2.0 camber and +7.0 caster. I had them on for a year or so (guessing) back in '04, I had them on when I drove out to Vegas for ISSCA Nats '04.

I'll eventually put them back on when I get the '96 running again, and I was going to run Rustic lowers, but since it seems that's gone by the wayside, I'll look into the Speedtech lowers.

Cliff notes: 2 thumbs up, I like 'em.

· Registered
155 Posts
I got the lowers last year but haven't installed them yet. I'm waiting for the next sale so I can get the uppers and install everything at once. Overall they look amazing and the quality of the bends and welds is well worth the money.

The only issues I found were that they way a ton (for added strength) and the threads on the ball joint were screwed up because it shipped with the castle nut partially on and in transit the movement made the nut eat up the threads a bit.

· Registered
420 Posts
I started with the first generation upper arms, and as Sir No ConeSS stated there was a lot of caster and camber built into them. Speed tech was nice enough to swap those out for me with their newer version upper arms and at the same time I purchased their lower arms.

So I am now running both their upper and lower arms.

The new uppers are great. More clearance all the way around and the alignment settings allow me -0.8 camber settings with about 8 degrees of positive caster. And there is still about a 1/4" of shims in all locations so less camber is possible. If you are looking for less caster though you will quickly begin to have the shim packs mismatched in size front to rear on the attachment bolts.

The lower arms are also a good product having a great attach point for the sway bar and are also a help with some clearance issues. My only gripe is the spring pocket allows the lower end of the spring to move around a little in the lower pocket. If you are using stock springs and use their lower spring isolator this wouldn't be an issue but with the 750lb springs I am using they don't fit in the isolators so I am running without. So over big bumps I can hear the spring more a little bit in the lower pocket. This isn't bad and I would recomend these pieces to anyone looking for something along these lines.

· Registered
3 Posts
I also have the full set of SpeedTechs. I also popped for the QA1 coilovers. Quality is top notch, and they look great. Installation was pretty easy.

I must have the Gen-1 arms because with no shims, I'm at -2.0 degrees camber. I am waiting for SpeedTech to contact me to exchange these uppers. I'm running a wide 285 front tire and with this camber, it will not work on the street. The current alignment is so radical, you can hear the tires scrub rolling the car out of the garage. Once this is resolved, I'll be very happy.

IF for some reason you purchase the QA1 coilovers, it is a great idea to buy the adjuster wrenches and the spring bearing kit to make life much easier as you adjust ride height. Many stores have them including Jegs.

· Registered
1 Posts
The quality is top notch - we have sold a bunch of these control arm kit to customers and have gotten rave reviews.

There are no fitment issues with the new generation arms that we're selling. The main benefits are increased positive caster and strength (strength is an issue when running coil overs).

Hope this helps!

Uppers:

http://www.powerperformancemotorsports.com/product.sc?productId=1751&categoryId=21

Lowers:

http://www.powerperformancemotorsports.com/product.sc?productId=1750&categoryId=21
this is right,,the quality of this product is really top notch,,ive used it for more than 3 years now and im having no problems with it.

· Registered
403 Posts
I'm using the speedtech upper and lowers with the QA1 coilovers and I must say the setup is pure sex.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.