Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a lt1 electric water pump. I did not get the plug that goes with it. Do people weld up the hole or am I going to overboard. I just dont want a plug that can leak or come out.

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Dan,
I think they're talking about the hole that the spline drive pokes through to drive the mechanical pump.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
The best bet without going overboard, would be to put a freeze plug back there, bondovw. This was done when I had my EWP put on at a local speed shop in TX. I don't remember the exact size, but you can call or IM george or angel at George Bates Automotive, they have done this before too.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Yea anyone who can wig weld aluminum can do it. Like dustman said. Mine came with the plug I put it as far as it can go and put solicone and I never had a leak.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Or, you can just leave the waterpump drive in there, it ain't going anywhere, and it isn't going to leak, and you can't really see it.:)

Next time the engine is out, I might pull it.:p

·
Registered
885 Posts
I welded mine, put a 1/4 thick aluminum round plate in the hole and welded it on both side. Weep hole is welded shut that way too.

I leak tested the welding and its fully seal.

My buddy used the freeze plug that came with the meziere with block freeze plug sealant and its holding fine.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Yes, I got it in my head he was talking about the drive in the block. As mentioned above, just get a freeze plug from any auto parts place. Use some perma-gasket, and it goes in from the front.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts