Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the confusing thread title, but here's what I'm looking to do and I was wondering of anyone has done this. I have two 10" shallow subs I want to install in my rear deck: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_20742_Earthquake-Sound-SWS-10X.html

These subs are extremely shallow and do not require much volume (0.4 cuft). I would like to install them in sealed boxes BUT I do not want to lose the trunk springs functionality...

Thoughts/suggestions/experience?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Have to keep the spare?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have to keep the spare?
That's part of the thought, I want to maintain the functionality of the trunk but still add subs.

built a ported box for 2 12" rockfords in my rear deck. boxslide in between the two cross springs in the reardeck. Then covered the whole thing with sounddeadner.
That looks great! Do you have any pics from inside the trunk looking up at the decklid? Or pics of the box out of the car?

·
Registered
215 Posts
found afew more pics. Some are prototype pics, to see for fitment and airspace, finished box looks alot better. will finish the trunk off with a kit that I'am building

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the followup 2ndtonone. If you or anyone else has tips from your experience, it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
215 Posts
first decide what speakers you want to run. find out how much airspace and power they need. decide if you wanted ported or sealed box. I would avoid bandpass, they are tuned to a certain freq. and people are prone to overdrive this setup. experiment with box designs,and port lengths. This is the hard part, cutting. Once you get over the initial shock measure three or more times. Build your box, fit your speakers, then measure, measure, and measure again. Then cut your rear deck, I used a air powered body saw from harbor frieght (9.99) with coupon. lol... But it works quick and fast. try to make the cut and flow withit in one direction. If you cut right, the piece can be reused if you decide to sale.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
If you check the first page of the "Show Your Trunks" thread, you can see my setup. Subs are in a box vs. rear deck, but the box is ported directly through the deck. Trunk springs are still intact and functional.

Very happy with the setup, but I need to go back through and tighten everything back up.

Tim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts