Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didnt seen a G80 on the spid but it says it has 3.23s and when I spun it in the dirt I left to 2 marks then I spray down some water and spun and left 2 marks but I didnt have anyone around to watch and let me know

I was thinking of swap a 92 9c1 rear end when I drop the 9c1 350 but cant figure out what I got already

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Are you talking about a sedan or wagon?

Why would you put a 92 9C1 axle in a wagon?

The 3.23 ratio shows being available in both open and G80 variants in 1991, but the list doesn't specify wagon vs sedan. Did you look at the diff cover to see if there's a metal tag under one of the cover bolts that says "limited slip equipped"?

One thing for sure--3.23 was only offered as an 8.5" axle gearset.

See if you can find the axle code--located on the right axle tube, front side, just outboard of the differential housing casting--stamped into the tube. You will probably need a wire brush or other abrasive, and something to provide contrast, whether paint or a wetting agent, to see the code.

The GM parts book say the axle codes for 3.23 in 1991 were 4YM, 4YE, and 4LN. Both 4YM and 4LN are listed as G80 equipped.

Finding the code is one solution, and the other is consulting the FSM for 1991, which SHOULD have a chart showing what axle, by code, was used in each application. The one other option you might search out is running the VIN at a dealer parts department to see if the data is available, and to indicate whether the car has G80.

·
Registered
499 Posts
GU5 could be had open. If the SPId won't show G80, look for the tag like Bill says. But, I've seen a tag on an open rear! Easy enough to check - get both back wheels off the ground & spin a wheel: if the other wheel spins the other way, she's open.

·
Registered
815 Posts
GU5 could be had open. If the SPId won't show G80, look for the tag like Bill says. But, I've seen a tag on an open rear! Easy enough to check - get both back wheels off the ground & spin a wheel: if the other wheel spins the other way, she's open.
Fred, as you describe, that would happen with the transmission in Park with an open differential, right? (I'm sure I've tried this years ago)

If it was posi, in Park, trying to rotate either wheel, it would be locked? (this is a guess... never tried with a posi diff).

·
Registered
499 Posts
Fred, as you describe, that would happen with the transmission in Park with an open differential, right? (I'm sure I've tried this years ago)

If it was posi, in Park, trying to rotate either wheel, it would be locked? (this is a guess... never tried with a posi diff).

Right. With a posi, it'll be "locked" in park, but move enough to tell. Or, use neutral if car is properly secured for more (but unnecessary) motion.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys the 3.23's are in my lo3 91 wagon thats in my sig

considering swaping the 9c1 sedan rear in because I know for sure its a posi I got to drive the 9c1 donor car today I'm working out a deal with my dad for the engine and a few other parts also gonna get the steering colum and I'm thinking about pulling the rubber rubber floors cleaning them and putting them in the wagon my carpet is shot and my 2 year son likes to throw his bottles and suck cups in the floor where the juices drips out the nipples no use install new carpet with him back there

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it's an open :( lol I forgot that if you have an open dif and youback the car up a little before you power brake it in drive it will sometimes spin both wheels my dad had tought me that when I was 16 in my old 73 cutlass supreme

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Go to your local picka part, and geta G80 unit, I snatched some 3.23s posi from an olds custom cruiser for $80 :)

Dont even do the 9c1 rear unless you like your wheels to be 1.5" further in on each side lol.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
we have plenty salvage yard but only 1 pull your own part yard within about 100 or more miles and they suck they have nice inventory but are over priced and they only allow 1 person per party on the yard at a time so if I did get a g80 rear from them I'd have to go pull it and get it to the truck by myself because if I brought help they wouldnt be allowed on the yard with me they would have to wait in the front office

a posi isnt that important right now wait till the new motor is in with a few bolt ons

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
we have plenty salvage yard but only 1 pull your own part yard within about 100 or more miles and they suck they have nice inventory but are over priced and they only allow 1 person per party on the yard at a time so if I did get a g80 rear from them I'd have to go pull it and get it to the truck by myself because if I brought help they wouldnt be allowed on the yard with me they would have to wait in the front office

a posi isnt that important right now wait till the new motor is in with a few bolt ons

LMAO........... that has to be some of the gayest BS Ive ever heard of in my life. Seriously? how the F**K are they supposed to make any money?

Its fun to go to the yard with your freinds and pull bs, look at cars, and think of what you could use parts for.

Fun to hang out with the fellows and pull parts.

That sucks dude.

Plus how the expect you to pick up a a 2000 lb (i swear it feels like it weighs that much) rear up by yourself?

Damn, sorry to hear that.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
man there crooks they want you to have to pay there crew to pull it for you but you might end up paying like 30-75% more depending the part a guy I know blew the rear end in his sedan and ended up paying $300 for a set of open 3.42's

the salvage yards around here are the reason I gave up and swaping in a 454 they wanted a grand for a core motor and $2500 for something runing cheaper to do a damn ls swap lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.