Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have hotchkis lowering springs and I installed pure muscle extended trailing arms on my car a few months ago. I got it up on a lift yesterday and seen this...http://imgur.com/TCivxsX
They are bowed pretty bad and they are almost off the rubber boot.
What should I do?

· Registered
8,013 Posts
Have you tried spinning them around? I suspect the fit fine with the stock length arms though. Extended length arms do change the rear end geometry,and mounting points.

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you tried spinning them around? I suspect the fit fine with the stock length arms though. Extended length arms do change the rear end geometry,and mounting points.
Not yet. Its at the exhaust shop right now but ill try it. Thanks

· Registered
475 Posts
Your springs do not look like the correct springs for our cars. The top and bottom of the springs should fit tightly to the spring perches.
The top of the spring is not correct and from what I can tell from the photo, the bottom is wrong as well.

When I changed my rear springs, the rubber mounts barely fit inside top and bottom of the springs.

Michael

· Registered
1,934 Posts
18 year-old OEM '96 Imp springs in their stock location:

HTH.

· Registered
11,638 Posts
The springs in your car look like they have larger end coils and could be the wrong springs for the car. The end coils fit fairly snuggly around the centering bulge on the spring seats. Yours look much too large for the spring seats.

· Premium Member
3,776 Posts
I have hotchkis lowering springs and I installed pure muscle extended trailing arms on my car a few months ago. I got it up on a lift yesterday and seen this...http://imgur.com/TCivxsX
They are bowed pretty bad and they are almost off the rubber boot.
What should I do?
When the lower control arms were replaced (with extended arms), were the upper control arms also replaced with adjustable arms?

If the axle is moved back (between 1/2" & 3/4") the result is that the spring seat on the rear axle is no longer in the correct position to keep the spring "centered" (so the pigtails are in line), and the result is what you are seeing.

If you do have adjustable upper control arms, it also appears that the axle housing is "rolled" toward the rear, which suggests to me that the upper arms are not properly set (too long).

The only real/proper fix for the spring seat location on the axle housing is to cut them off and move them forward so the spring can remain vertical and centered as in production.

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When the lower control arms were replaced (with extended arms), were the upper control arms also replaced with adjustable arms?

If the axle is moved back (between 1/2" & 3/4") the result is that the spring seat on the rear axle is no longer in the correct position to keep the spring "centered" (so the pigtails are in line), and the result is what you are seeing.

If you do have adjustable upper control arms, it also appears that the axle housing is "rolled" toward the rear, which suggests to me that the upper arms are not properly set (too long).

The only real/proper fix for the spring seat location on the axle housing is to cut them off and move them forward so the spring can remain vertical and centered as in production.
They arent ajustable. Has anyone else experienced this with the extended trailing arms? And I dont know if the rubber boots are stock size.

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The springs in your car look like they have larger end coils and could be the wrong springs for the car. The end coils fit fairly snuggly around the centering bulge on the spring seats. Yours look much too large for the spring seats.
Are you talking about the rubber seats? I dont know if those are the stock sized rubbers.

· Premium Member
3,776 Posts
They arent ajustable. Has anyone else experienced this with the extended trailing arms?
What remains unclear from your response is whether the upper control arms are OE/stock (which is a problem in itself with extended lowers), or if they are aftermarket/provided with the extended lower arms.

Your current situation would also result in the driveline angle being out of whack--based on the position of the spring seat on the axle housing. Are you experiencing any or greater levels of vibration in the car after moving the axle rearward?

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What remains unclear from your response is whether the upper control arms are OE/stock (which is a problem in itself with extended lowers), or if they are aftermarket/provided with the extended lower arms.

Your current situation would also result in the driveline angle being out of whack--based on the position of the spring seat on the axle housing. Are you experiencing any or greater levels of vibration in the car after moving the axle rearward?
Oh sorry they are aftermarket, they came in the extended kit.
Theres not real vibration I can feel. I wouldnt have noticed anything was wrong if I didnt see it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.