Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
They're both blown, which is why I am asking. thx in advance

EDit: And, umm, there don't seem to be that much of a selection of 8 ohm speakers. If I would want to upgrade to an amp/hu later, would it be feasible to buy some 4 ohm 6x9 and put a 4 ohm resistor in-line for now ?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Noone knows ? harumph !

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
from what I remember, they should be stenciled on the magnets what ohms.

·
Registered
934 Posts
i thought 6x9 are in the back of all caprice/impalas

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
I'm not an audiophile but I believe home stereo system speakers are generally 8ohm, while most car systems are 4ohm.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my bad; civi Caprice Classic, premium sound with cassette player lol.
They have 8ohms printed on em. Can't find 8ohm 6x9's. 90% of car audio is 4ohm.

So... 4ohm resistor in series ?

·
Registered
676 Posts
amplifier provides a voltage and current to your speakers.

4 ohm driver allows more current to flow through it. this draws more power out of your amplifier and flows more power through the speaker

if you have an 8ohm amp (more expensive) then you can run two speakers in series without loosing any power.

if you have a 4 ohm amp, then what is the point to having 8 ohm speakers.

·
Registered
66 Posts
you can replace the stock 8 ohm speakers with 4 ohm speakers. It will not negatively affect the stock radio (which can handle impedances from 4-10 ohms)

·
Registered
934 Posts
ya just thow some 6x9 and call it a day my 9c1 has all after market speakers no amp and it sound good

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
My new Rear Speakers from Infinity, which sound incredible BTW, are listed as.....

"
True Four Ohm Impedance technology: speaker's 2-ohm impedance combines with speaker wire impedance for a 4-ohm load
"

.....I dunno what all that means, but they sure sound much better than the old Kenwoods I had and the BASS difference is huge. :p

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-7vGLRDyRdzb/p_1089633CF/Infinity-Reference-9633cf.html

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you can replace the stock 8 ohm speakers with 4 ohm speakers. It will not negatively affect the stock radio (which can handle impedances from 4-10 ohms)
We have a winner. Thx, good selection of cheap 4ohm 6x9s out there.

I have read that 4ohm driven by 8ohm amp creates more heat. Which makes sense because V=IR. Therefore current would double with a 4 ohm speaker. If the radio's amp is capable, as Kevin indicated, which I would assume being true, i.e. old dinosaur amp being built pretty rugged.

Thx for the input fellas.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts