Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
If you're not after performance gains how could you go wrong at that price? Even if they only last a couple years. I didn't know there was still a header made that could be had for that sort of money.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you're not after performance gains how could you go wrong at that price? Even if they only last a couple years. I didn't know there was still a header made that could be had for that sort of money.
thanks might last longer sincer i barely drive my car and if i do its not for too long

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
I meant to add though, will they fit? Looking at their fitment guide it only lists Caprice to 89(which seems like a screwy cut off point).

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I meant to add though, will they fit? Looking at their fitment guide it only lists Caprice to 89(which seems like a screwy cut off point).
thats a good question. i got this from the header sticky so i have no clue but good eye scott. hope someone else has the answer to that

·
Registered
868 Posts
oh they'll fit.

now what you have to do to make them fit is another story.

search some other threads 1st.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
They won't fit our cars without 'work'......and then, they won't 'work' well enough to have been worth the hassle.

YMMV.....

KW

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok so they are no good lol. so does anyone have recommendations for some cheap headers?
doesnt matter if they are painted ill paint them with the high heat paint.

·
Registered
478 Posts
oh they'll fit.

now what you have to do to make them fit is another story.

search some other threads 1st.
Agreed...I put these on my 73 Nova and they fit ok...but you'd have a rough time on a B-Body.

Driver side might not be too bad...but assuming you got the passenger side in (consider EGR, AC lines, etc.) you'd have to do a custom job on the rest of the exhaust as it wouldn't hook up to the stock system.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
so does anyone have recommendations for some cheap headers?
Ah.....if only some "cheap headers" options was in our lives.

What that must be like.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
LOL.

There is a cheap option that works just fine.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=239283

Those headers and the ones you are asking about fit the engine perfectly. There is interference with the AC line on the pass side with both headers. Careful bending of the line ELIMINATES that problem with the headers I posted. Aside from that I recommend the Dynomax 2.5 pipes.

The summit headers you posted require cutting off the small braces connected to the lower control arm mounts. The afterburners require no frame cutting.

Of course if you are worried about looks and every last ounce of performance save up for a pair of Tri Y's from Clear Image.

I've done a few AB installs and they are easy and cheap.

I even went the highly dreaded and dangerous UNCOATED header route...oh the horror.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
The Flowtech Afterburners fitting "Perfectly" is something I will debate. One of the tubes had to be pounded on for awhile, and the frame heated up, and pounded on for the pass side to clear. If anything, the Summits fit better. That frame brace is much easier to notch, vs attempting to dent the entire frame rail.

But, I would try either ones again.

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
If you plan on getting the Summit headers, spend the extra $100 and get the ceramic coated versions.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
The Flowtech Afterburners fitting "Perfectly" is something I will debate. One of the tubes had to be pounded on for awhile, and the frame heated up, and pounded on for the pass side to clear. If anything, the Summits fit better. That frame brace is much easier to notch, vs attempting to dent the entire frame rail.

But, I would try either ones again.
Results vary I suppose. Plus I said fit the "engine" which they do, it's the AC lines and apparently some frames that pose the problem ;)

As you can see in my pics and details, I didn't have to heat, cut, dent, torch or beat anything, anywhere, on my frame or the Impala frame I did an install on. My engine mounts were not a problem at all either.

I will gladly help anyone within reasonable driving distance of me install these headers. Of course anyone is welcome to drive to my house and I will help install.

·
Registered
478 Posts
If you do try to make the Summit headers work be warned they do vary as well from set to set.

I actually put two sets of the Summit's on my Nova. First set had no clearance issues, second set I went ceramic but I had to knock a dent in to clear the power steering box.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i guess ill just paint my manifold since i see so many headers have fitment issues i dont want to have to bend up anything

·
Registered
478 Posts
If you go Clear Image Tri-Ys you'll have no fitment issues...otherwise I'd stick with the manifolds and save up.

·
ISSF Honey Badger
27,205 Posts
If you go Clear Image Tri-Ys you'll have no fitment issues...otherwise I'd stick with the manifolds and save up.
1!

"The bitter taste of poor quality remains much longer than the sweet taste of a low price!"

Corey Corey Corey. Good to see you at the show.

But like you said, just clean up what you have or wait to save for TriY's.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
If you want a truly CLEAN look, there are only 2 ways to go.

CIA Gen 2 tri-Y's (coated)
CIA Quad 1's (coated)

They fit clean.
They install clean.
They stay clean.

Don't waste your time with that other garbage.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts