Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cross post from suspension section, because I think it's that important. And who ever looks in the right section, anyway?
People frequently want to know why their tires wore out so quickly. Here's a tip: 90% of the time, is not the tires fault. Here are some visual guides I've collected, and when i find better ones, I'll post them, too. You'll notice that though the pix differ, the symptoms and causes are pretty much the same.

Ill throw in a few thoughts of my own here and there, but I'll mostly let the pix do the talking.

Here's a better example of a tire wear indicator:

Inflation:

I'll cross post this in the wheel and Tyre section.

And i forgot the number one reason for premature tire wear:

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
Should've titled this one......Tire Wear for Dummies ;)

Good stuff!!

KW

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Are you going to merge this with all the other threads so It's difficult to read? Or keep it stand alone as a separate idea/though?

I've notice my car really following the tar strips over the last few weeks.

Could this be the issue?
Both front tires wore like this in 3 weeks of DD duty.

(my front right)

·
Premium Member
5,791 Posts
I hate my friggen ugly, out-of-round Kumho tires. I wish they would wear out, but so far, they're hanging in there way too good. I'll try some of your inflation tips so I can grind the rubber down faster and be forced to buy something better. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Are you going to merge this with all the other threads so It's difficult to read? Or keep it stand alone as a separate idea/though?

I've notice my car really following the tar strips over the last few weeks.

Could this be the issue?
Both front tires wore like this in 3 weeks of DD duty.

(my front right)

Looks like my fronts on all my cars.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
The chart pretty well tells you what the problem is, not that you shouldn't already know this stuff.

Kumho has one of the fewest "out of round" issues of all the brands. If they were really out of round, why didn't you return them? They come with a warranty. The odds are, that isn't the problem anyway.

·
Premium Member
5,791 Posts
Yeah, I’m pretty sure they are, though. I had a car that ran out perfectly on the old tires, then I replaced the tires and you could immediately feel the problem. I know for certain it isn’t the car. I thought it was a balancing problem, but when I went back and had them rebalanced, it was the same problem. Not long after, I actually replaced the wheels with some chrome ones, and still, you can feel the tires hop out on the road. They’re just a bad set of tires (well, at least one or two of them are).

I would have replaced them, but the old tires were long gone, and I bought them off of Tire Rack, so I really didn’t want to try and figure out how to deal with the inconvenience.

I know lots of people have had good luck with them, but I haven’t, and that’s all there is to it. I’ll be getting something else next time—this is a learning experience as far as I’m concerned. And anyway, even if they were good, which they aren’t, I think they are the most hideous set of tires I’ve ever seen. I knew that when I bought them, of course, but I was hoping they’d be so good based on everyone’s recommendation, I’d learn to love the looks.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
It's probably those god awful NON ORIGINAL chrome stocks. :D

·
Premium Member
5,791 Posts
It's probably those god awful NON ORIGINAL chrome stocks. :D
I'll tell you what, if I had put them on those wheels in the first place, I'd agree with you. But they weren't any better on the original wheels.

And yes, I realize you hate the chrome wheels. Again. If I let everyone on this board know what I honestly thought of a lot of the tire and wheel choices here, I'd be banned. ;)

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
You'n me both brudda. And we'd not likely be welcome on the dumptruck and fireengine forums eidder, at least by the size of some of the clownsize stuff gets stucked under our cars.

The only consolation is this too shall pass. Like when's the last time you caught a spinner that dared to show itself out in public?

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Haha, I had to give you some **** Giarc. Thank goodness I have a spare pair of BFG's to put on the front.

Like when's the last time you caught a spinner that dared to show itself out in public?
Always on Tahoe's for some reason...

I can appreciate nice rims Eg ZombieSS, Pimpala, but some stuff yuck!

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
If I let everyone on this board know what I honestly thought of a lot of the tire and wheel choices here, I'd be banned. ;)
I am with you on that! I always have reservations about dealing with remote vendors like Tire Rack. I realize a lot of people have had good luck with them. I take their prices to Discount Tire who will match the deal. Then I have someone to go to if something isn't right. I know that isn't always available depending on where you live.

·
Premium Member
10,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If I told everyone what I really thought about their wheels I wouldn't be moderator!

Wait a minute... I don't think I've ever kept it a secret that I hate lifted cars. What I don't do is comment on every redonculos thing that gets posted. Live and let die.

But we digress. Barb, If your tires wore out that fast, then I'd say not only do you have alignment issues, but there may be a serious problem in that front end.

No, this thread won't be merged, just linked in the master sticky.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Well about 6 months ago I lost a shim pack out of the front suspension. Had it repaired and no worries.

August/September I think it fell out again, but I was only driving the car to the track and parking it again, so I let it ride.

3 weeks or so ago my Truck got wounded and that's how I got into this position.

I need to re-shock the car and go through the front end. (something I have no knowledge of how to do :D)

I've been running the drag radials, so I have another set of BFG's on impala rims for the front.

Just need to get to them and then buy a new set of drag radials for the next season.

Oh.. and get my damn truck fixed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts