Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does it come off? I took the 2 screws off already. Im about to repaint them.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
How does it come off? I took the 2 screws off already. Im about to repaint them.
There are some plastic tabs/slots underneath too. Be careful. These parts are very brittle by now and the gentler you are removing and reinstalling, the better off you'll be.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are some plastic tabs/slots underneath too. Be careful. These parts are very brittle by now and the gentler you are removing and reinstalling, the better off you'll be.

Too late. I listen to big black SS. Broke.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Prob would have broken anyway. Pieces of crap. I wish I could swap out all this gm garbage for something that doesn't squeak and brake if you look at it wrong.

·
Registered
10,919 Posts
The armrest is supposed to be removed with the door panel, then you can release the clips from the back side of the panel. There are only 2 screws holding the armrest to the support. Too bad you broke the clips. Most people who work on these cars do not understand the disassembly process, and often break fragile parts.

It looks like you are going to buy a set of armrest savers.

Never use the arm rest as a door pull.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
You can blame the parts for being junk from the get go. Rarely do people own up to their own heavy handedness. Regardless, it's quite a stretch to think GM expected the parts to last 20 years without regular wear, tear, weather extremes and time doing what they will inevitably do.

I got fed up with the issue and cut a couple of pieces of stainless sheet metal to size, filed and buffed the edges smooth, drilled holes and the armrests are now more stable than stock. I actually do use them as door pulls too. Done correctly, it's the best option to shore up a part that was never intended to endure what the existing ones have to date.

If it's a stock plastic part, it is FRAGILE and BRITTLE. Blame GM or whatever, but it simply is what it is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts