Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there all

I have had a couple of gentleman on here curious about the installation of this into our Caprices and Impalas, since the crash this info was lost and I am pretty sure that I made a post regarding this about a year ago. I will try to remember all that I can to help out anyone.

As far as what you need,

1.94-96 control head, mine is a 96 as there are some internal differences, at least this is what I was told, and it works better.
2. Mixing valve, electric unit that goes in place of the manual unit on the duct housing
3. electric vacuum solenoid, in place of the manual tubes from the control switch.
4. interior temp sensor and tube that is run behind the glove box, tube attachs to the upper portion of the blower housing to cause a vacuum affect to pull in cabin air so the system can read interior temp for auto control
5. Sun load sensor, goes in where the twilight sensor is under the dash vent, you will need a dash vent also from a 95 or 96 roady and modify it to fit in our dashes, or cut a hole for the sensor and put it in place
6. Exterior temp sensor, mounted in front of radiator.
7. blower control module, goes in place of the original blower resistor module mounted next to the blower in the duct.

Now as far as installation goes, it is easier to accomplish if you have the whole harness out of a Roady and just take out the wires that you need, but you can do the installation with just the connector ends and a bunch of splicing.
You will have to have a fair bit of electrical knowledge and ability to trace out information on the wiring diagrams

Take the dash apart to ease the installation, including both the upper and lower portions of it.

you will be cutting a square hole for the interior temp sensor tube in this plenum here on the right side and route the tube towards the glove box.

remove the original clitmate control assembly and the manual mixing valve that is shown here

Here is where this is mounted to it is about in the middle of the picture, has a post and a u shaped post coming out of the plenum

These are the posts that I added to mount the electric unit

This is the vacuum control module, you take out the original distribution block install this one in it's place, I would suggest that you take the vacuum hoses of one by one and replace them with the new ones, they are all the same color coding.

Here is the shot of the harness that I made to go into the dash, I just measure everything where it needed to go and went from there. It will take a little looking at the schematics and figuring out what you can reuse. The defroster relay on the original panel is mounted to the back of the original panel, so I just used the relay for the hi blower setting down by the blower assembly.

There are probably a hundred different ways to make the harness, so if you can get the harness out of a Roady I would do this as it would be 100 times easier than tracing out all the wires like I had to do.
Here is a shot of the climate control harness, I left in all the original wiring just incase I wanted to take it back to original

As far as the mounting in the original location, you are going to have to be creative cause the mounts on the new control don't work with our old ones and you will have to cut them off, I just cut apart the original control and used it's out portion and slide it on mine and mounted it to the dash

This pic shows how I routed the interior temp sensor tube

Also if you mount the vaccum module to the original location you will have to take a piece out of you glove box so that it will shut, or you can tie it up out of the way so that it doesn't hit it, if you don't want to mess with cutting the glove box. I cut mine, I will have to find a pic of that though.
This is how my mounted in the original location

Since then I made a sheetmetal bracket for my double din install and it came out like this.

I think that is it, if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Mike

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
damn mike, that is alot of work...i thought about tackling this but im not good with wires lol

·
Premium Member
8,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are right, it is a bit of work, but not too too hard, I am thinking about trying to make a harness that is plug and play for those who want the setup, but don't want to do it themselves, I guess that I can evaluate that. I wish it was just plug and play, but this is GM, make pretty much the same car, but make everything inside totally different. :)

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
did you hook up the serial data info so you could run the diagnostics on it as well?
Yes but you are limited as to the diagnostics you will see, you have to have a Roady PCM load to make it work correctly or give you all of the features, I haven't screwed with it much since the install, I know that it works, well most of it anyway.

Mike

Diag codes, the whole list would be nice if anyone has them and not just the ones in the FSM, they were here but got eaten by the server, thanks

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Indeed nice write up bro, by chance do you know anyone who has the wiring harness's. I have that year a.c. unit but missing the wires though. I have been wanting to do this install for years. Any info would be greatly appriciated, Peace

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Good info bro, thanks

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Indeed nice write up bro, by chance do you know anyone who has the wiring harness's. I have that year a.c. unit but missing the wires though.
There is a 94 Fleetwood in a yard near me. It may have the auto climate control. I could try to pull the wiring but I think they charge some big money for wiring harness, close to $100.

·
Registered
7,999 Posts
Mike, very nice write-up. This is one that I "may" try to tackle if I can find a good donor and a yard willing to let me get what I need. LMK - if you decide to do a harness, I may be intersted. Still looks like a lot of work though, but the result could be worth it!!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Thanks for looking out rh96ss but I have another option in mind and if that falls through I'll look you up bro

·
Premium Member
8,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks fellas, not a problem writing it again although my mind has been full lately and I am suprised that I remembered it all :)

12sec SS's site has good drawings on it, but I would recommend getting an FSM, there isn't going to be a difference between the years, that I know of, so if you were putting a 94 control in 96 car and had the FSM for the 96 car you would be fine.

I am a little pissed at the boneyard here in town as they hd two really good donor cars and they usually just give me most of the stuff that I come get, but they usually leave car in there for about a month and then crush it. So I lost those, but I will see what I can find. Let me know if you guys need any more help and I would be more than happy to help you in anyway I can.

Mike

·
Registered
488 Posts
Automatic climate control

I am currently parting out a 95 rms with auto climate control. I am unplugging everything and labeling as i go. The only wire i have cut so far is a power feed wire. Once i get it all removed i will be putting it up for sale, let me know if you are interested. Should be alot easier to install than it has been removing it.

·
Registered
7,999 Posts
Interested

I'm definetly interested, but just bought a set of wheels and funds are a little tight. But this is one mod I want to do. Let me know when you get it all together and what price you want for everything. Thanks!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Whats so much better about this control over the stock ss control it looks crappier to me. But then again it might have more functions than the stock HVAC control.

I felt the same way about the bonnie seats then I find out there super comfy lol :D and the 12 way forget about it bad ass

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I'll be keeping you in mind to 84 GRAND NATIONAL LT1 and if myfirst option falls through and you SStill have it maybe we can work SSomething out, Peace

1 - 20 of 174 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.