Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having difficulty removing the front bumper skin from my 1994 Impala SS. I am encountering resistance on both sides in the area where the two 10 mm bolts meet the fender. The 10 mm bolts are out but the bumper skin doesn’t budge. I am certain that all the retainers and screws have been removed. Are there clips holding it to the fenders aside from the 10mm bolts? Can anyone advise?

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
There are pins that align the bumper cover with the fenders. They may be stuck in the holes. Did you remove the three screws on each side that hold the wheelhouse extensions to the bumper cover? There is also a screw that holds the cover to the extension on the bottom of the extension.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response. Yes I removed the three bolts in the wheel well. Do I need to get behind the wheel well to take the bumper skin off? Do you recommend drilling out the rivets holding those pins in place? The bumper feels as though it is being held in the location of those alignment pins/rivets. Appreciate your time,

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
There are no rivets. The only things holding the bumper cover to the fender are the 4 bolts.

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
2,159 Posts
Try using a spatula or flat head screwdriver or something to pry the bumper cover free. As stated, it's likely just stuck from age.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the response. Yes I removed the three bolts in the wheel well. Do I need to get behind the wheel well to take the bumper skin off? Do you recommend drilling out the rivets holding those pins in place? The bumper feels as though it is being held in the location of those alignment pins/rivets. Appreciate your time,

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate your help John. The pins were stuck like you mentioned. I was able to pop the pins downward with a small puffy knife between the fender and the bumper. Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts