Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what temp does the primary fan come on. I let the car warm up half way up the gauge and it still doesnt turn on. But it does turn on when i turn the a/c on.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
factory primary is 226 i believe

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since i have a 94 the gauge doesnt show degrees so where on the gauge should they turn on. For example 1/2 or 1/4 or 3/4.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
second fan should come on when temp get to 232 degrees

-ALF out..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since i have a 94 the gauge doesnt show degrees so where on the gauge should they turn on. For example 1/2 or 1/4 or 3/4.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
not sure got a 96 with an autometer

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
None of them have "degrees". The fans under ordinary circumstances do not come on until the engine is very hot, as stated around 228 and 232. The primary fan comes on when you have the A/C on. That is how it is supposed to work, there is nothing wrong. The car does not need to be "warmed up". If you want it to run cooler, install a 160 thermostat and have the PCM re-flashed for lower turn-on temps which is certainly a good idea in Homestead.
Do some reading here and educate yourself about your car and buy a Haynes Manual if you haven't already.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Better yet, buy a factory manual, Haynes suck.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
This is good info as I just returned from WCG#6 in Las Vegas & the wagon was not a fan of the desert HEAT!! I think I'll look into a cooler thermostat & re-programming. Was wondering what those guys did out there? Probably the same...

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
My 96 run's at about the 1/4 mark while going down the road, A/C on or not. Stopped at idle it will creep up to a tad ( about a pointer width) above the 1/2 mark before the pri. fan comes on, that's without the A/C on in 110 degree Phoenix day.....I have a stock 180 degree T-Stat and a 108K miles WP. With the A/C on I have never seen it go any higher than the tad above the 1/2 way mark. Now, When the pri. fan went out the gauge would get almost into the red before the sec. fan kicked in, that was scary, but it never over heated and always cooled off when I got moving again. I also noticed that it would stay a little cooler if I kept the RPM's up to around 1800-2000 mark if I was just creeping along which makes sense with a mech. driven WP.

If you are concerned about the temp's, start it up and let it sit with the hood open and just let it heat up, you will get a good idea of how the fan's work, at least the pri. , as I have never seen my sec. fan run when I have done this, and what looks 'normal' for your gauge/car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts