Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small problem. I currently have a 4l60e and have purchased a th400 to swap in. The pan on the th400 is much deeper than my 4l600 pan. I noticed that I have been scraping the pan on the 4l60e. Not too much but enough to worry me about doing the th400 swap. The car has a 1" drop all around. Has any one run a very shallow pan (custom pan/depth) and have a tank mounted in the engine bay to add capacity to the system?

The only issues I could foresee would be the pan being sucked dry under heavy acceleration. I figured Id have my shops tig welder fab up a 1.5 or 2 gal tank, mount it in the engine bay. Run a -12 an line from the bottom of the tank to the side of my shallow pan to feed it. The reservoir will be fed after my tranny cooler by a -6 line.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
483 Posts
you scrape ur 4L60 pan with a 1" drop? that doesnt seem right? are you running a deep 4L60 pan? w/ my th400 with the deep pan its only like "maybe" half inch lower than front xmember...and my car is lowww and i never scraped it, not even the drain plug

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think that would work. TH400's are very sensitive about over-filling. Any aux tank that would be mounted at a higher level then the tranny would certainly do that; over-fill it.
oh yeah gravity. lol there goes that idea.

Ruff: yeah the pan is scraped up its a bone stock camaro tranny. I dont hit anything and the car used to scrape the exhaust bad when i had bad hotchikiss sprngs. but now with the new ones i have, i rarely scrape. mostly coming in and out of driveways and stores and speed bumps. i think these south fl roads are bad, yet people tell me they aint got shizz on northern states roads. i could only imagine.

·
Registered
483 Posts
When i drove to daytona for the show. The roads were like glass. There are pot holes here that will eat your car...literally

1 - 5 of 5 Posts