Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice on this. ATI lists #917327 as being correct application for 94-96 Impala LT1 motors. However I do know that the Hubs for the 94/95 motors are a different length (longer) than the 96. The hub on the ATI Damper also has provision for a Key and the 96 doesn't use a key. Do I install the hub W/O the key? My question is... How can this ONE hub fit both 94/95 and 96? Am I missing something here?
FRANK

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya know that's the first thing that I did. They say it fits. Iv'e had people tel me all kinds of wrong info, and I'm not just about to take someones word for something. I don't see how one hub can cover Two different length hubs. I would like to know the answer BEFORE I go ripping off a hub, installing a new one, only to have a problem and have to do it all over again. Iv'e been down that road before. I'm sure someone on this Forum has installed an ATI Damper, and could tell me PROBLEM or NO PROBLEM.
The damper # is 917327 and is going on a 96 LT1.
Thanks for any help.
Frank

·
Premium Member
5,745 Posts
Comes with a spacer ring you use on 94-95 but not on 96.

You put in a standard SBC key in the vacant front key way.

And be prepared, you may have to have to hub honed to fit the crank depending on the fit to the crank. ATI has very specific numbers for the interference fit.
You might not BUT you must check it, not just cram the hub on hoping all will be fine.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
my ATI box part # is 917327. have the 10% underdrive size damper

like Gerry said a sbc key fits...and use it. I had no issue installing it on my stock and Eagle forged crank. I did use the Kent Moore tool to do the install though

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AtI Super Damper

Wagon, I think tour absolutely correct on what you say. Especially about the Hub having to be honed. I read the install instructions on tha ATI website, and that seems to be the case. I don't really need that damper, just bought it, because it was a good deal at the time. However, it seems it's more trouble than it's worth. Probably wind up selling it.
Thanks for all the help and enlightenment, I apreciate it. Saved me a lot of unesessary work.
Frank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts