Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have already become very distressed with the lack of moderation here. This morning I see there are FOUR new posts that are obvious spam and one reply about spam. You seem to have forgotten that it is we, the actual car members, are the reason for this site. You touted this Improvement(?), yet we are being bombarded with junk from people who have nothing do do with the purpose of us coming here. Your new improvement caused this now it's your duty to fix this.

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
933 Posts
I am guessing "admin" is just someone at a computer in a cubical farm. The crown vic site goes down for days and they do not notice or respond to the problem.

The only thing that may improve "admin's" responses would be affecting their productivity score. If forum members have the time, reporting posts then PM ing the "admin" might show up as a issue in their work logs and result in more interest on their or their manager's part.

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
Problem is now with the new format we are just one of the MANY forums they own and just another thing for them to ignore. It is a corporate forum now and no longer a instructional forum. I hear the death bells a ringing!

Mike--94MSP9C1

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with both of you. My fear is I will come here some day and find a "For Sale" posted. Some how we need to get a handle on this. I'm afraid though, our concerns will be like the comment, "Write your congressman". Lot's of hot air with no results.

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
Now see what you did? Your complaining has resulted in the site flowing like cold molasses this morning as punishment. lol

After --> numerous <-- posts to Admin it's pretty much as y'alls conjecture above. Our only consolation here may be that whatever lessened amusement or loss of quality of life this inadequately performing platform is causing us, the same grief has befallen hundreds of mountain bike, cat, home decorating and children's forums that the host also owns. ;)

Admin turns out to be just gatekeepers, and any 'conversations that are sent to only one person and not posted for everyone's viewing' (you know, a PM) get forwarded to a 'team' for eventual attention (well, or not). The evidence points to 'streamlining' (amputation of human intervention in favor of 'aggressive improved software' (wrong on both counts)), all for a model with open arms to bots and spammers (while claiming the opposite).

The cold is coming on strong when activity dies down anyway, so we can regroup in the Spring and see how (or if) the bugs have left the building. I ain't got no dog in this hunt otherwise, but you's paying members with a pretty ring and star around your handle sure ain't gettin' your money's worth.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bob says: The cold is coming on strong when activity dies down anyway, so we can regroup in the Spring and see how (or if) the bugs have left the building. I ain't got no dog in this hunt otherwise, but you's paying members with a pretty ring and star around your handle sure ain't gettin' your money's worth.

Hey Bob, your dogs is good here. I didn't want to say anything about paying. I figure that was my decision and it was a gesture. My thought was all you old timers that have donated so much more to making this a great site. (Formally) Hopefully we can deal with this monster. I can't help but think of the "Thing From Another World". Notice the recent posts. Thanking and the Arabic.
Best to all and have a Great Thanksgiving.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't make posts about SPAM. Just report it and let the mods (or lack of) do their job.
Jay, Morning Friend. It's good to see you're still here. As far as your statement about reporting. I have been doing just that. My hope in posting here too is to generate enough disgust so, maybe, something more will be done. Not to denigrate one of our Friends, but the site has been fixed until broke. I can't see where it's being monitored enough.

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
I've already mentioned that I recall our old mods were all volunteer, and I can't imagine the hourly rate I'd consider enough to tolerate the current horror show with this improved platform. Indeed the 3 former mod's activity shows anywhere from several weeks to multiple months since they've been online. Which to me is perfectly understandable.

As far as 'new mods,' I and others have recapped the failure mode that the current inadequate (or just plain absent) attention is causing. The biggest issue is that they are just not present and accounted for, despite our multiple pronged attacks to get their attention and interest in solving even basic issues we're presenting to them.

·
Administrator
446 Posts
Hey all,

I can certainly work with the existing active mods to see if we can find members of the community would be a benefit to keep this site running smoothly. Are any of y'all volunteering here and now?

-Gerrit

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
Gerrit, I applaud your positive-sounding overture. However.

Despite absolutely no indication of positive benefit with the 'new platform' for the existing members of this forum, numerous regular posters already (and continuously) have been "volunteering" repetitive observations and occurrences of improperly operating aspects of this site, coupled with the tidal wave of outright detracting and negative new features which do absolutely nothing more than clog up the screen with non-productive data and useless member statistics intended for no other reason than to lure children to the site. This has already measurably degraded the experience of adults participating on this forum by unnecessarily complicating simple navigation around the forum. The extra perq of this new programming has also been to --> completely <-- fubar Search, which for 98% of the world is not aware holds an invaluable archive of intel on this measly 5-year run of GM last gen B-/D- bodies (and NOT all or just 'Impala SS' as the current narrative claims - I replied as much on the first day of 'going live' = but just crickets to date)

Responses from the host to our already 'volunteering' in this manner so far has returned largely glad-handing circle-speak ("we'll look into it", and, "I'll pass along your feedback to the admin team...") or just outright silence.

Cliffs:
1. There were no problems with the prior 'platform' or 'programming' or whatever that compelled 'improvement' or 'upgrade' as far as the current posters are concerned. Navigation through topics, threads and posts was quick and clean. Searching was also a positive experience with quick effective reverse-date listing of threads where more intel could be acquired methodically and in context.
2. Despite frequent and multiple threads sent in since 'going live' detailing glitches, flubs, random nonsense and total breaks, none of #1 reflects current state. In fact, the exact issues presented then have still not been corrected, much less being replied with substantive information on exactly the steps being taken toward solution(s). There is no plan of action.
3. All the imagined or real motivations for unilaterally enacting this new platform are owned solely by the host, not by anyone using the forum. Our net benefit from all the non-valued change are conditions that have either intentionally or accidentally attracted a tsunami of bots, spam and immature trolls, while at the same time we hear bragging on "aggressive, something something software that is better than people doing the monitoring...." Total rubbish.
4. As far as, "keep this site running smoothly" lol, it's first mandatory to buy into the premise of maintaining something that currently exists. Total lunacy and delusion.

Bottomline: To this day IDK who or what this, "existing active mods" are, or, what the "admin team" represents. If referring to the fellas who previously volunteered their time (that means no pay) to shepherd an otherwise smoothly operating site, then there's high probability they've already left the building. I know I would. Given the chronic inattention to the non-functioning aspects of the forum, and lack of coherently ordered pattern for correction to breaks and illogical navigation already brought up, there is a low probability of enticing long-standing members to buy into this losing hand.

There's been more than enough feedback on issues that won't go away until corrected. The host simply needs to exhibit comprehension of the problems and make the clearly mandated corrections. Fire whomever hoodwinked them into this burning dumpster of programming and commit to pay dearly for a new team of adult coders to amputate the garbage and recover a working program. The old platform would be a good start. We'll be the first to notice --> action <-- like that. If not, then it's pretty clear their march forward is to bank on this so-called 'improved cross-app accessibility' that's driving all the new children here, and driving all the current contributors and enthusiasts away.

Sorry, coffee's done and I've got a busy day planned.

ps - I've noticed for weeks that spellcheck is jacked up. And the 'Click to Expand' thing is stupt. Just eradicate Points, Rewards, Trophies, Reaction Speed, Highest Contributors, who has the newest iPhone....., and there'll be enough recovered bytes to show the whole post without asking twice. Jeez Louiz

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
[SNIP]

>...This has already measurably degraded the experience of adults participating on this forum by unnecessarily >>complicating simple navigation around the forum....
I couldn't agree more with this statement, as well as the general sentiment posted about the site since the 'Improvement' was initiated.

That being said, I am best buds with old SYSOP here, but I'm not sure there would be anything he could do in these times.

I think it’s best that if/when you find a post of interest, or a thread that you start and get some great information shared, that you do a simple print to PDF, and save to your own archive.

I've been doing that for a few years, having my own small collection of threads. The biggest advantage of doing that was to have some of the great photos in place for these hella descriptive threads. We sure lost a lot with the demise of photo/imageshack.

If you have some suggestions or ideas, I could float something by the old SYSOP and see what he has to say about being able to help, but to be honest at this point in time, he has since washed his hands of this site from years ago, and unfortunately has ridden the wave and is solely over on fruitbook.

I'm still here myself, just not nearly as active as I used to be, but I refuse to go elsewhere for my technical information.

Take care!

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Morning Junior. Good to see you're still here too. I hate the thought of so much knowledge, from you and others, that this progressive site will force away. I'm sure we will never be able to go back to what was an easily a far more friendly site. As for myself, I'm trying to learn it little by little. As we find ways around all this, MAYBE we can push through to some thing that we can live with. Hope Springs Eternal.
BTW, I noticed that you got the seat situation taken care of.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I'll cast my vote against this new forum layout as well. Its needlessly complicated and makes things more difficult

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
'Mornin' Mark,
I been poking around hunting for any signs of improvement to several key areas we've been reporting regarding site (mal)function, but alas found none. But, breaking news! I'm sure this has surfaced by others before, but I just discovered it's impossible to see further back than 190 most recent posts in 'New Posts'. That seems like a rather arbitrary limit, but it also coincides with "30 days" for the latest reply which is telling. Also note there's no tab for 'All Posts', just something labeled 'Popular' which is an exceptionally useless and senseless category.

So, it may be that all posts vanish from ready review after just a month, and that it's required that you accidentally back into anything older only by recalling a proper keyword to uncover it with Search. Chopping off general access to all threads older than 1 month activity sounds like it speaks to 'faster access' for mobile OSes, but imagine already attention span-challenged thumbers thinking the history of the forum only extends back to 4 weeks ago.

Since default Search filter is (still) set to 'Relevance' and has to repetitively be set to 'Date', that must be why there's been such a rash of newbs tagging onto 6-15 year old threads with their first posts for parts wanted and questions.

See, there's a method to the madness. It doesn't make it any less madness.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
We're all gonna have to become like the bibliophiles in Fahrenheit 451 …
The Iron LT1ophiles, substrata WX3, 9C1, B4U, V4P …

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
It's been a while so I was just scoping out the Cadillac Forum. Gad zooks they've been assimilated like us! But Cady members must pay more than here since they have 29 pages of 'New Posts' v. our 9 pages. Good news I already earned 2 Trophies on my very first visit in 2 years:

Not Again.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Bob, forget about doing the garage for your car. Put in lots of shelves for all your trophies.

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
We're all gonna have to become like the bibliophiles in Fahrenheit 451 …
The Iron LT1ophiles, substrata WX3, 9C1, B4U, V4P …
hahaha good one. Except there'll need to be at least 200 of us dividing up the 6,500 pages on 'opti'.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts