Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been a problem with the bushings that came from an early batch of BMR control arms. I purchased my set in summer of 2001. The problem is that the bushings are desinegrating. All 4 ends of my LCA bushings were split and/or 1/2 worn away. I haven't checked the uppers yet.

My symptoms was that the read end was shifting during hard acceleration and deceleration. My original bushings were RED and showed signs of spliting on one side. Upon removal, they all had split.

The Cause: Bushings were not cured correctly and with the weight of our B-Body's, they were going bad more frequently than other platforms. The replacement bushings are BLACK but I'm not sure if all RED bushings are bad though.

The Fix: Call Frank at BMR and he'll send you a set of bushings to replace at no charge. He'll send you 12 bushings - 2 per each end (less the axle bushings). You MUST save and reuse the metal sleeve from the original.

If you have any questions or you might be affected, Call Frank. You can find his number on his website.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Got Bearings?:
There has been a problem with the bushings that came from an early batch of BMR control arms. I purchased my set in summer of 2001.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

:confused: So they knew about this and already fixed the kits purchased recently? As in 2002...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kamchief1:
:confused: So they knew about this and already fixed the kits purchased recently? As in 2002...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have no idea man. I'd check the bushings for any signs of deterioration and/or call Frank. I didn't notice the rear end shifting until a year later. If it took that long for problems to arise, you COULD be affected since the fix might not have come until after you got your set. As I stated before, not sure if all RED bushings are affected. I received BLACK bushings, which are much firmer than the RED ones.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Red here too. Mine has only gone 2-3K since they went in though. Probably not enough time to show up yet. I sent BMR an e-mail anyways. [email protected] I don't want to change them! Think they would give me a free set of lowers for my trouble? I wish :rolleyes:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My discussions with BMR indicate that the bushings were a bad batch from the supplier. No specific date of shipment was indicated. Basically, they were too soft to handle the weight of the B-body.

I got my arms in March 2002 and when I replaced the bushings last week I found all were still whole but they are definitely softer than the black replacements and could be deformed with minimal finger pressure. Even if mine were still whole they were allowing the rearend to move too much. I'm hoping I'll see a big difference when the BeaSSt comes out of hibernation in the spring.

SStewart

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BMR sent a reply to my e-mail. My control arms were purchased in 2001 and they said I bought way before the problem occured. The time frame they referrence is the second quarter of 2002. So you guys that thought you were safe with the newer arms may not be.If anyone wants the e-mail I can forward it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got the same reply from BMR that is was units produced in the second quarter of 2002. I bought mine in spring 2001. I check them very carefully and found no problems. They are the red colored bushings.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the heads up. I got mine last year through the group purcahse from Nick @ Maco Motor Sports (May/June time frame). My bushings are red and black...so I guess I'm screwed also. I hate that I have to tear that thing apart again. That's why I bought the BMRs...fix and forget.
JP :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do they have a "lot number" or "batch number" to check on the packaging or something? I have a set that I haven't yet installed that I'm pretty sure were purchased the first half of 2k2...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll weigh in on this one. I had my BMR stock uppers and lowers on for about 2 months this summer (2002) and the rear end started clunking when taking off from a light. The upper arm bushings came out in multiple pieces! BMR told me they don't have any date code to identify the bad red bushings, so they sent me black bushings that are much higher durometer. I replaced ALL of the "small" bushings with the hard black bushings.

Ony problem now is, my rear end is LOUD. It sounds like a bearing is going out. I think something in the rear end got damaged when the original red bushings desintigrated and let the axle flop around.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Unfortunately, I bought the BMR control arms for both of my B-bodies in the second quarter of 2002. One set has both red bushings and the other has red and black.
I will be calling them tommorrow. Do you need to fax a receipt to BMR as proof of purchase?
With respect to the red versus black bushings, I thought that the red were poly and the black, which don't have any grease fittings, were rubber.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well that just starts out a perfect week for me...

I bought mine in april of last year... Im screwed... ill probably be getting some global west arms or something with my entire suspension rebuild

Im not entirely sure BMRs are made for 800+HP cars... atleast im told they are fairly weak, I could be wrong though

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FastSS:
I bought mine in april of last year... Im screwed... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

FastSS: I bought mine in March last year(2002) and BMR replaced the bushings with no problem. Don't give up, walk away and b*tch, give them a call or an email. They are great guys to deal with.

SStewart

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am happy to report that I called Frank at BMR today and he was excellent to deal with. No need for me to prove that I purchased the affected bushings. In about a minute, by checking shipping records, he confirmed that I had purchased control arms from them, through a vendor, in May and June of 02. My replacement bushings will arrive in 3 days. Frank explained that they did indeed receive a bad batch of bushings in the second quarter of 02. He said that the weakness only shows up with the heavier B-bodies, not the F-bodies.
They do have rubber bushings, as an alternative.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.