Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an Auburn posi out of a 92 RMW, and I would like to know if it would fit in my 94 Fleetwood. I remember reading something about differences in axle width, of axleshaft length.

I definitely cannot afford a new Eaton or anything else, so for what the experience is worth to me, will this fit?

The unit I have in from the factory has some issues with the spider gears I fiture the worst case scenerio, I replace the carrier and I don't have the limited slip. No big loss, because I think my factory unit is on the way out.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
If you're talking about swapping the diff carrier into your housing, it will fit. If you're talking about swapping the entire rear end, you'll run into ABS issues, as the FW has sensors at the wheels.

Soooo... With all that said, I believe you can get away with swapping your axles and brake backing plates into the RM housing, and you should be set. I'm pretty sure the housings are the same on those 2 cars, as far as width goes. The RM rear will have an ABS sensor on the diff, which I believe is not used with the FW.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright! With that said, I will clarify a bit. I am going to swap the RMW carrier into the stock Fleetwood axle housing.
As you said, the Fleet has reluctor rings on the axleshafts for TC and ABS which is different from the RM.
I am probably going to get a start on this tonight, simply because I don't want to drive my car too much right now. It would suck to eat up my ring gear.

Jared

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ran into a bit of a snag with the installation, the carrier and ring gear bolted in great, and I have the bearings on and tightened to spec.

Problem is, when I insert the axleshafts, I can't find clearance to insert the c-clips. The spring pack seems to be flush mounted with the spider gears on either side, preventing the c-clip from being installed. I cannot get enough clearance on the inside of the spiders to get the clip in either, and I do not want to risk hammering them in place.

Imagine the yellow bit being the groove where the clip should go, and the green line being the shafts themselves. I don't know why the shafts won't install further, or if this is even the problem!

Thanks again for reading!
Jared

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
just a wag from memory, rotate it 180 and try from the other opening.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Never mind! I got it.. Just whacked the spring pack with a hammer and forced it forward making room for the c-clips. Easy-peasy. Oddly, this Auburn still lays two fat strips of rubber even with 300,000 KM on it..
Weird..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.