Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,
Can any of you give me (or link me or point me to) a tutorial on the GM auto-level system?

I get the basics - compressor, air shocks/bags, level sensor. Level sensor turns compressor on/off/release.

What I don't understand:
- time delay? I imagine there is a delay. Where is it controlled? Is it part of the compressor? Is it part of the PCM?
- other parts? - Basically, is there a separate control module?

Why?
I'd like to retrofit both my RMS and my Chevelle. Is it as "simple" as:
- buy/install air-lift bags for springs (insert not replace)
- grab/install junkyard compressor (modify spring)
- grab/install junkyard level sensor
- plumb air lines from compressor to bags
- power/ground wires for compressor
- wires for sensor to compressor

Thanks for your help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oo boy. You really really really need a FSM, just for the wiring diagrams if nothing else. There's a lot to that system and you hit on many of the major elements. On a Fleetwood, I believe the controller is part of the power control module (likely not called exactly that) in the trunk.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good idea I spent a little time in the book this weekend. Looks like it reallyis only the 2 pieces sensor and compressor (plus lines and bags/shocks). As I understand it, the logic is actually inthe sensor. I'll have to scrounge some parts and see for myself.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, you're ??s made me read up too. I did not realize you got the books. There sure is a lot of built in delay circuits to keep the system from overworking itself. It sounded to me like most of the controls are in the compressor head unit. It says the exhaust solenoid for release is in there. At least I could not find evidence that there is anything connected to the tail-brain in the trunk, which is one less thing to worry about with your swap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.