Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed some cut 9c1 springs today and they r to low for me just happened to be at AZ and they now have 96 ss springs here is the part number a google search of the part number tells me nothing. FCS503S part number I read FCS means made by McQuay Norris that is it. Any help before I try these

·
Premium Member
6,396 Posts
The PN is FCS5030S, listed as "heavy duty", and FEC5044S

If you compare to Moog, you'll find the same springs - 5030 and 5044

You can run a search on 94-96 Caprice and the same springs come up.

They're "generic", not the specific SS replacement as the factory replacements were.

If you use these springs, the car will sit higher than with correct SS springs.

Sorry, nothing new here....

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need to this tomorrow so if I buy these and cut one coil off would that work I don't like the soft roadmaster sedan one.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just bought napa front springs heavy duty for 94 Caprice. The car sits pretty high bout an inch to 1.5"'higher than even a stock 9c1. Rides nice. I think they are 419#. Might heat them to get em down about 1". If I had known how high they would sit I would have cut .75 to 1 coil off. Should be good. I'm also gonna wait a few weeks Nd see if they settle down a bit?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, Went back to AZ today and bought some Moog 7268 front springs that will be here before noon tommorow. I have read these are close to SS height maybe cut of 1/3 coil. I think im going to leave them alone and see how they ride. They were 110.00 for both

·
Premium Member
6,396 Posts
You never gave any indication that you were looking at the 7268's--that's a significant departure from the production springs.

That said, my experience with them is that as long as you keep the ride height "normal" and maintain some wheel travel, and don't go too low on tire aspect ratio, the 750# spring is one of those "this is the way they should have done it" situations--do a back-to-back comparison (with everything else staying the same), most of the time I think the most common comment would be how limp the stock SS spring setup feels, and how "solid" the 750 spring setup is by comparison.

Remember that a spring is an energy storage device--higher rate of the 7268 means that the shock is working harder to control rebound as the spring releases it's energy, so I definitely recommend the Bilstein 1104 as minimum, and the better choice would be the Bilstein AK1053 race shock. There are others that might work as well, but I have no experience other than with Bilstein.

I also think you won't need to get crazy with front sway bar size either--the 750 spring PLUS a big front bar is really going to create more understeer unless you add a significantly larger or more effective rear bar. I would not suggest a higher-rate rear spring--the SS production rear spring is a very nice compromise of rate and ride/trim height.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks Bill for the feedback. I put new ball joints and tie rod ends in today, (looks like center link and pitman arm are new) and have the front and rear SS sway bars ready to install with new end links. I have some very slight used Monroe HD Severe Service front shocks to put in at the same time. Hope those work.
I have some SS springs to throw in the back or I have some 9c1 springs to try. I like the small rake look, plus this is the family traveling car, so lot of weight from luggage will be in the trunk alot and my wife and two kids travel all the time. This car has 256 rear end and completly stock, so it should be nice to drive and it has the double din spot for a nice DVD player. I just did not like the boat feeling.
Springs will be at AZ around noon tommorrow and then off to the alignment rack I have access to use. Its one of the Hunter Camera ones with a 52 in flat screen, no wires, strings,or measuring. I have used it a few times last year, that thing is one of the best I have seen.
Ill post some pics next week by the way its a 96 DCM Roadmaster Sedan with dark red cloth interior that I put SS wheels and dechromed it. It has 71k and I bought it with a bad waterpump for $700 It just one of the fun cars to play around with and have fun

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
How do the stock 9c1/ SS fornt / rear springs stack up as far as spring rate? I have noticed my Roadmasters feel soft and floaty up front, even with SS / FE2 springs.

·
Premium Member
6,396 Posts
The springs for these cars are of 2 basic rates--expressed in "newtons per Meter", a metric conversion of "pounds per inch" of spring compression.

SS & 9C1 sedan, wagon front
- suspension RPO 7B3, FE3, FE4 & others
front - 77 n/M (other sources indicate a 440# "rate" for this spring family) - 45% rate increase over 53 n/M springs (below)

The range of 77 n/M springs (same basic wire size, OD, etc) is formed/cut to lengths resulting in various ride heights, SS-specific spring providing the lowest ride/trim height measurements

rear - 27 n/M (SS-spec spring is 154# "rate") - 50% rate increase over 18 n/M springs (below)

other sedans (those not using FE3, FE4, or 7B3 suspension packages--and possibly FE2 & F41)
front - 53 n/M
rear - 18 n/M

wagon
rear - 37 n/M

Compared to the 77 n/M front springs (assume 440# rate), the 7268 (750# springs) are 70% higher rate--significantly more energy to deal with.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the springs installed yeaterday, I really like the feel of the car now, tight and reponsive. GM should of put these in all the SS's
I have a few 94-96 b-body cars, one with Voglands, one with Hotchkis, and my wagon with ST up front.
I drive a Police Edition Dodge Charger everyday at work, and feels real close to that car in the turns and over bumps. I'll post some pics later this week after the springs settle a little. Really nice for $110 with lifetime AZone warranty.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
Thank you for that info Navy Lifer. :) It is greatly appreciated.

96 DCM Roadmaster Sedan with dark red cloth interior that I put SS wheels and dechromed it. It has 71k and I bought it with a bad waterpump for $700 It just one of the fun cars to play around with and have fun

You bastard... I have dreams I find cars like this. :mad:

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
I think they are 419#. Might heat them to get em down about 1". If I had known how high they would sit I would have cut .75 to 1 coil off.
I thought heating up a set of springs, killed the spring rate, and made them soft? Isn't that one of the worst things you can do?

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Just an FYI,
I ordered a set of moog 7268 springs yesterday for $90.12 with free shipping from Amazon.com of all places…
I’ve also recently bought moog balljoints and control arm bushings for my Chevy truck from Amazon at prices lower than any other place I could find…
I haven’t seen this site mentioned as an auto parts source before so I thought I’d post it up.
It looks like you need to already know the part number to find things there but that hasn't been a problem so far..
Now I always check there for parts before ordering anything and about half the time they are the lowest shipped price cwm1

·
Registered
77 Posts
i have a 95 9c1....i had napa hd springs in it.
i just installed moog 7268 (front) and moog 6381 (rear). it dropped the front 1 and 3/8" and the rear an 1".
i will repost with pics and how it rides.

·
Registered
77 Posts
well the ride is nice, like everyone says "should have been this was from the factory"
my tire size is
255/60/15 front (27")
275/60/15 rear (28")

Attachments

·
Registered
826 Posts
well the ride is nice, like everyone says "should have been this was from the factory"
my tire size is
255/60/15 front (27")
275/60/15 rear (28")
Hey Sleeperv8 is there any possibility of getting a couple better shots of the car? Also, are those before and after pics or are they both after pics? The second shot is a little too dark to see how much space between the tire and wheelwell.

What size tires? they look like 255 60 15's

·
Registered
77 Posts
They are both after pics ..i can get some more pics for ya, i should have some before pictures too.
the front tires are 255 60 15s the rears are 275 60 15s

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
Hey Sleeper, nice stance on that car!! Looks good.

Sean

1 - 20 of 34 Posts