Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Step 7 wiring the jack and mounting

Locate the 4 wire Radioshack patch cable

Feed it through the same opening on the front of the chassis that the face plate wires went through. If you don't do this you won't be able to attach the face plate later.

To each end of the stripped wires of the Radioshack patch cable slip on shrink tubing.

The jack has 5 terminals 1-5 see the attached photo for positions and numbers(it is also located on the package the jack came in).

Solder the wires to the jack's terminals as follows:

Red wire to terminal 4
Green wire to terminal 5
(that's the Right channel)

Black wire to terminal 3
White wire to terminal 2
(that's the Left channel)

Terminal 1 is the ground. Run a single wire (black) following the same path as the patch cable and locate the gang of wires you tapped into to wire the jack. Locate the black wire on the end of the gang of wires going to the FM pre-amp board. That wire is the ground wire. Solder the new single black wire to the black wire tape or heat shrink to seal the connection.

Now insert the wired jack into the hole you drilled into the face plate. either hot glue it or use the (ring nut included with the jack) to secure the jack to the face plate.

Re-attach the PCB board to the face plate, routing the wires appropriately- again it is okay if the jack isn't fully level with the PCB board it will bulge a bit - just don't tighten the screws near the jack too tightly (see attached picture).

Re-assemble the radio in reverse of disassembly.

You will have a working radio and now the ability to listen to your ipod with no hiss, crackle pop associated with many FM modulators ...

I've also attached a picture of a tape measure of my son's radio that did NOT need any modification to the PCB board so you can compare it to the picture in the previous step measuring the position of the hole from the edge that did require board modification. I also included a picture of the final installed shot of the radio I outlined in this thread. You can see that the jack is positioned closer to the tuner knob and further from the dash surround - it did require mods to the PCB board mentioned previously. - It also shows no ring nut as I hot glued mine and used a sharpie marker to color the jack black I got some marker on the face plate just noticed in the picture - not in real life!

Hope this has helped - I've got two that work great!!

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Thanks for the most excellent write-up! I'm going to explore the Buick radio to do the same...

·
Registered
889 Posts
finally! i've been looking for a writeup on this that works on my radio for years, thanks a million!

now i just need to fix my ipod lol

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Thanks for the most excellent write-up! I'm going to explore the Buick radio to do the same...

Well, I've been tinkering with the Buick radio (cassette, no cd), and it's a different animal. Really wish Delco would offer their schematics, but they don't (per their website).

My current plan of attack is to tap into the tape section and feed the aux line into where the tape signal goes into the main board... however, trying to fool the player into thinking there's a tape without there actually being one is a little tricky.... it's a smart little bugger. I have a couple more ideas to try to fool the tape player before I move on to the FM section of the radio...

·
Registered
889 Posts
you could probly just put a blank tape in there, or one with no ribbon if all else fails

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
you could probly just put a blank tape in there, or one with no ribbon if all else fails
I've used one of those cassette adaptors, and the damn cassette is too smart. It somehow checks for tension on the tape, and since there isn't "tape" in those adaptors, it spits it back out...

I don't want the tape going back and forth, so I'll try to make one continuous loop of tape so it never switches sides... I just have to go buy a couple blank tapes to try it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Thanks for the info. I successfully added an aux jack to the old Clarion CD unit in my F Body this week :) I almost went out and bought a new head unit, but decided to try this first. Glad I did, works perfect.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Thanks again, Dave

Just did this and it works great!

For mounting the plug I did mine a little differently. I broke off the little peg in the mounting area for extra room

This let me put the plug in a place that wouldn't interfere with the dash without having to relocate the light

This is where the hole ended up on the faceplate

My plug had a clear section on the side opposite the terminals, so sandwiching it against the light had an added bonus; The plug lights up when the rest of the radio lights are on

Forgot to get a pic of the plug with the wires attached, but it was a pretty tight fit getting the faceplate back on with the plug in this location

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Radio Mod ... Woot!

Hey guys - Happy New Year!

Glad to hear this mod has worked for you too! Nice idea about clipping the mounting clip! The Buick cassette player really is a smart bugger ... let us know how you make out on that one I've got two I could mod.

I really like this mod as there are many things I am okay about changing on our cars (engine mods, cam, roller rockers, controll arms, etc.) but I really like how clean an original interior dash is! Now if I had a couple of grand for a stereo/DVD/Headrest and sunvisor displays that might be a different story - guess that's what the lottery is for!

Glad ya liked the mod makes my drives that more enjoyable!

-Dave

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Sweet!!

Thanks again, Dave

Just did this and it works great!

For mounting the plug I did mine a little differently. I broke off the little peg in the mounting area for extra room

This let me put the plug in a place that wouldn't interfere with the dash without having to relocate the light

This is where the hole ended up on the faceplate

My plug had a clear section on the side opposite the terminals, so sandwiching it against the light had an added bonus; The plug lights up when the rest of the radio lights are on

Forgot to get a pic of the plug with the wires attached, but it was a pretty tight fit getting the faceplate back on with the plug in this location

·
Registered
701 Posts
TTT awesome write up. Going to try this on my original 84 Caddy head unit.

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
Does anyone have any secret information on how to do the whole aux in add on, on a 88-94 Fullsize GMC/ Chevy truck with a AM/FM, nothing else radio? I guess some pre amp wires exist in this little radio..

Pic from ebay ad, Advertising a modded radio for a pretty penny

·
Registered
16 Posts
Different radio guts?

well this is a bummer, i tore open my stereo but it seems to be set up differently, there is no preamp board in my unit, all that is in there is the cd player and the main board, i guess the preamp is built into this ? does anyone know if it is still possible to do this mod? i can provide pictures if needed. thanks

·
Registered
449 Posts
Are any vendors or members doing this mod? Mine is a Bose unit and does not look like the guts of the unit pictured

·
Registered
16 Posts
Are any vendors or members doing this mod? Mine is a Bose unit and does not look like the guts of the unit pictured
There are 2 units pictured. There is mine that is pictured above (a 97 production year delco cd stereo), and one earlier on in this thread that is completely different from mine.

My hope is that someone has done this mod on a head unit like mine and can post a couple pics on how it was done.

Did you check back in the thread and look at those pics? Although it is a bose system and could be a whole 'nother configuration.

·
Registered
124 Posts
There are 2 units pictured. There is mine that is pictured above (a 97 production year delco cd stereo), and one earlier on in this thread that is completely different from mine.

My hope is that someone has done this mod on a head unit like mine and can post a couple pics on how it was done.

Did you check back in the thread and look at those pics? Although it is a bose system and could be a whole 'nother configuration.
as long as your deck has the extra slot in the back for a flat plug that would go to a External CD or cassette player the aux unit from pac audio will work.the bose audio has no bearing on that side of things.tahoes,Suburbans And all higher end GM cars Circa 96 up had that feature so you can use that Pac Aux unit add it and just run 3.5 headphone jack to RCA wire and run a ipod or any type of Media player.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ya i looked at he PAC unit but i like the cheap 3 dollar fix with a homewired aux jack, although the PAC unit does make it very simple, just plug it in and go

21 - 40 of 54 Posts