Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Yeah my mos post was 1996 and older...

Sorry gang my experience and Mod write-up was on radios 96 and older.

I have heard that the 97 and newer add more functionality that the PAC adapter can help with and they also offer features like volume control on steering wheel (monte carlo) .. but I have not confirmed.

That being said, you can always do what I did which is the trial and error method. I cut the end of of a 1/8 stereo extension cord ... plugged one end into an ipod and stripped the end of the other then, with the car radio attached to a 12 power supply, and a speaker, I touched the lead to random solder joints on the car radio's boards... starting with the FM board (pre-amp board) ... you could do the same on the new radios just engage the "AUX" function and start touching leads... old school :)

Dave

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
1/8 iPod jack for stock radio

I've heard some members looking for this write up on how to add a 1/8 stereo jack to their stock 94, 95, 96 caprice/impala radio ... so BUMP :)

·
Registered
642 Posts
Can we "sticky" this thread?

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
The BEST way to put AUX input on a '94 CD Player!

So, I decided to add an AUX input to a '94 Impala CD player. I discovered two things:

1. This is a easy radio to do this mod to, and it turns out GREAT!
2. The solutions I found on the internet were not very good.

Here is arguably the BEST way to add an AUX input to a '94 style CD Player:

Here's the view from the back.

Looking it over, you can see it is actually 2 halves. The lower half houses the CD player, the upper half is the radio receiver/amp.

After I removed three screws (one on the back, one on the top, and one on the side opposite the knobs), the top portion is easily removed, revealing a pair of plugs.

More importantly, I discovered something else-- The receiver/amp is the same as those used on an '88-94 truck! Here it is pictured with a unit from an early 90's truck.

This is good to know, as others have mentioned, Delco schematics are not made public. However, the receiver on the trucks is separate from the head unit, meaning that the pinouts for the unit are in the FSM:

So, here's what I did:
First, I obtained the following headphone jack, with isolated switch:
10 Pcs 3 5mm 1 8 Female Audio Connector DIP Stereo Headphone Jack PJ306BM US06 | eBay

Remove the large plug on the lower part of the unit by gently prying on the retainer.

Here is the plug.

Starting at the top, the first wire is the left channel coming from the CD, second one is right. Also, the bottom one is the switched power to the CD. These three are the ones you will be working with, so you might want to label them, as they are all brown.
Also, you'll be adding a line to the 6th pin from the top, which is the "Tape On" line.

You can remove the left, right, and 12 volt wires by gently working them out of the retainer, and then simply lifting it out of the clip.
installation of the wires to the jack are also easy, by sliding the wire below the tiny retaining clips, and then "punching them down" into the metal pin. It's best to use wire that is approximately the same size as the wires used in the unit from the factory. There is no need to strip them before punching them down into the plug, the little teeth will dig in to the wire pretty well.
Here is my chicken scratch schematic for wiring in the plug:

EDIT: The 3 wires leaving the jack (12V, Left, and Right) are the feeds to the CD player, that were removed from the plug.

Here is the plug, once I finished.

Once you're done with rewiring the plug, simply clip it back in place on the unit.

Mounting the jack, and how/where you want to mount it is up to you, I don't have any input on that, as I am mounting mine externally below the dash. So, I haven't looked into locations on where it might work on the face plate, or anything else.

How does it work?
First, the audio from your iPod will override the audio as you'd expect it to. The isolated switch in the jack also removes power from the CD player, stopping it in place, and at the same time, tells the receiver/amp that it is in "tape" mode, overriding any audio from the tuner.

Features/benefits:
1. Works like you would want it to, just plug it in, and it goes.
2. No additional switches needed, or CD's with a "looping track of silence" playing to make everything work right. <--Saw that in one solution I found on the internet.cwm3
3. CD player is still fully functional, disc will resume from the same place when iPod is disconnected from the AUX port, disc can be ejected while iPod is playing. Disc CANNOT be inserted though.
4. Can be done for less than $10.

Lastly, this should be able to be done the same way on an '88-'94 GM truck as well, only that the type of plug used on the receiver is different.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Wow HuSSker you are awesome! I have a 94 with CD player and want to do the Aux input mod.And boom,you post an excellent tutoral here.Thanks much!
Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have y'all heard of factory one radio? It's a website that sales all older model radio's with Bluetooth and aux capability and it's stock radio. Not sure if it'll play mp3's but with a aux and Bluetooth you really wouldn't need it. Looking to get one for my 96 impala

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Have y'all heard of factory one radio? It's a website that sales all older model radio's with Bluetooth and aux capability and it's stock radio. Not sure if it'll play mp3's but with a aux and Bluetooth you really wouldn't need it. Looking to get one for my 96 impala
Welcome to the forum. Good to see someone searching and digging.

Radios are one of the very personal topics. This thread is about modifying the electronics and has skipped details on other aspects.

Many other GM radios can be fitted to the Caprice dash. What you do not see are the cutting and fabrication to make it work.

See my pics as a example of how mounting tabs (ears) have to be changed. See how the different sides and backs (stock vs replacement) require modification inside the radio area of the dash. This is not a hard modification but radios are not always physically identical. By memory I could not use the rear index pin and had to do a little cut and grind.

By changing the radio I got a equalizer and steering wheel control. I also added a AUX in that will soon allow Bluetooth.

factory one radio
is selling refurbished radios that have been modified. Look to their warranty and reputation before buying. There are other radio re sellers and I make the same recommendation for any vendor.

Please start a new thread about your search and decision.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
I bought a stock 95/96 CD stereo with ipod aux from 1Factory Radio about a year ago.Works well very satisfied.
Here's a couple pics,I put it in my 94,and made an aux mounting plate/modded a stock em/trip housing put it in place of the e/m trip buttons on dash.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been looking for ways to get my iphone to work with stock hu, seen that 1factory does this anybody suggest them or have any other ideas on where to buy a plug and play type of stock hu?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Make sure you get a ground loop isolator for whatever device you're using cause once you plug in a charger you're gonna get alternator whine.

That's my main complaint with these mods.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Make sure you get a ground loop isolator for whatever device you're using cause once you plug in a charger you're gonna get alternator whine.

That's my main complaint with these mods.

There is also a small chance of burning out the charger or the phone without proper line isolation. I would expect line isolation on the phone and on the vendor product. On the mods described in this thread ground issues may be a problem.

A different charger may not produce alternator whine. Cheap line isolators will reduce volume and add distortion.

If apple gets it's way there will be no connector on the phone so there will be no issue.

With bluetooth I get automatic music pause on incoming calls.

I have seen some expen$ive bluetooth adapters but no audio specifications to justify the price.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Nobody adds isolators when they mod these radios. Not that I've seen anyway. I've had it done on a couple of my other cars and had the whine.

So, yeah the mod itself gives you a clean look but the reality is you're gonna have to find a place to hide an isolator or just never plug your device in to charge lol.

My car didn't come with an OEM radio so I just swapped to a bluetooth receiver. Got an addon bluetooth for the OEM radio in my DD and the Z06 will be getting the same receiver as the Impala. Much easier and no issues with interference.

I do understand wanting to keep the stock look though.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts