Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a '95 Caprice Wagon. On the CD button on the radio it's also marked AUX. Is there an input somewhere? I noticed back by the rear speakers is what looks to be an 1/8" audio jack. Is that it? Kind of a weird setup if it is.

·
Registered
7,984 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did search and didn't find anything related to AUX on a stock head unit. I guess it's a head unit from a different car. I'm still wondering what the jack near the rear speaker is.

·
Registered
7,984 Posts
I did search and didn't find anything related to AUX on a stock head unit. I guess it's a head unit from a different car. I'm still wondering what the jack near the rear speaker is.
If that jack by the rear speakers appears to be factory, then it "could" be for the CD Changer. I believe some cars from the factory had CD Changers mounted on the Under Side of the Package tray where the rear speakers are.

Maybe look up info on the CD Changer and see what you find. If you can post up a pic of the connector, then others may recognize what it is.

·
Registered
449 Posts
The AUX button on the OEM unit controls either a trunk mounted CD Changer, or a Slave Cassette or CD Player (as seen in the trucks and vans). It requires you to install the OEM connector cord between the two devices

·
Premium Member
4,549 Posts
One thing to note,
in a 95-96 Chev CD player with aux, it can only run a remote TAPE player .
It is not "smart " enough to run a remote CD or Ipod through the aux plug on the back of the radio .

To run a CD stacker or Ipod , the Cassette player with AUX was needed.

The work around if someone wants both a CD radio and a stacker or Ipod is the last year of the same gen radio from an S10 (2002?)

It has a CD/AUX button there.
one tap- internal CD , double tap- AUX

I use it with an Ipod adapter

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ha! What I thought were 1/4" audio inputs near the rear speakers I now believe are mounting points for the cargo screen. They're in the panel indentations on both sides.

So it sounds like the AUX isn't very useful without an expensive adapter if at all. This is similar to the C5 Corvette radios but someone found a way to add an standard AUX input by splicing/soldering. Haven't done it to my C5 yet but if it goes well, I might try hacking the Caprice radio as well. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I added my own "AUX" by dissecting my deck, tapping into the FM audio L/R channels and adding a relay to toggle between FM and AUX. Then I added a bluetooth receiver to the AUX line, so I can now play music over bluetooth via my stock deck. I posted a thread about it as I went along. It's a few years old and a little difficult to follow, but it's a fun project and the results are good, for those interested.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I sniffed around and found the original post on how to install an AUX line, as per dservati.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=240045&page=2

What I did was install a wire with a 3.5mm male connector instead of a female connector, then I ran the wire to a bluetooth receiver. It didn't work initially, but I found the proper filter to add to the audio line between the bluetooth receiver and the deck, and it's been smooth sailing ever since. Everything is concealed, so nobody would ever know the car has an AUX line. I like that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts