Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided the time has come for me to correct the weird spring angle I have due to lowering and axle relocation.

Yes, I've measured all the angles and dialed in the pinion angle correctly. So since future plans do include airbags I though I might as well fab up a bracket that'll do double duty.

After getting the whole car in the air and level and the rear axle supported at ride height without the springs installed, I proceeded to drop a plumb bob and start making a bunch of measurements. The result is the other photo.

Similar to many jeep offset brackets, I picked up some 4"x4" 3/16th Wall Square Tube this weekend to cut the brackets out of.

I will post photos as I go.

I guess the one question I do have at this point is could this possibly be welded using a 110v Lincoln MIG with flux core if I take my dear sweet time and weld both sides of the flanges to the axle shaft, or will I end up tacking it then pulling the axle and hauling it to somebody with more power?

-Brian

Attachments

·
Registered
11,040 Posts
I think you are asking a lot from your 100A welder.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guess it's time to clean up the 230v Miller Thunderbolt and learn to stick weld.

-Brian

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Some food for thought. Not sure how significant it will be, but you'll be inducing about 100 ft-lbs of torque to the axle going by that sketch.
May actually help on drag launches being it's pushing the yoke downward. Other times...??

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did think about that however, My spring centerline will still be slightly over the tube. If you look at 60's Chevelles and Elkys they all have spring perches with the CL almost 2" ahead of the axle tube while still using the same 4 link suspension style. The airbag set up from Riderite has angled and offset perches. So while yes it will induce a little extra load in the upper links, I'm not too worried about it.

-Brian

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update

Some updated photos from cutting the brackets and getting them test fit.
The cardboard tube is cut to the ride height of the spring and allowed me to make sure all my measurements were good before welding.
Got one side welded in before environmental conditions in my garage shut me down for the weekend. I'll get some photos with springs installed this weekend.

-Brian

Attachments

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Of course. That's why I have the white cardboard tube cut to match the compressed height of the ST springs I run.

-Brian

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Of course. That's why I have the white cardboard tube cut to match the compressed height of the ST springs I run.

-Brian
I don't miss the days of 3/4" extended trailing arms and ST springs. I redid the shocks last weekend and even with Hotchkis extended arms and springs, STILL don't like the new angle.

Your job looks good.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally kicked this project into gear after I drove home on a sideways spring from when I gave up on o2 sensor removal and took it to a shop.

-Brian

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finished

So final changes to the as shown on the 3-view. I ended up shortening the outboard leg of the bracket by 1". It was running into the shock mount.

Also not very well shown is the fact I needed to get a set of GM spring hold downs. 64 Chevelle style or trailing arm GM trucks 63-72 would work.

All in all about 40$ worth of material / spring tie downs.

Now it needs a bath.

-Brian

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts