Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Hopefully will be useful tech. the main reason for this question is to know if it is possible to change the axle shafts out of an early model B-Body into the later B-Body axle housings. this would change the wheel lug pattern from 5on5" to 5on4.75" and most of us already know about the 1LE rotor swap up front.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
There is a small fly in that ointment, Jay.....

If the intent is to allow use of 4.75" pattern wheels, the question is whether the wheel center bore is larger than the late B-body 5x5 axle register, which is ~3-1/16" (3.0625). OE 4.75 wheels have a center bore that is too small (~2.78), but most of the aftermarket suppliers blow out the wheel center and makes up the difference with hub-centric rings.

The other thing is that there WERE 88-90 cars with 8.5/30 spline axles, but I think they were 9C1, which is 5x5. Prior to that, the same situation--if it had 8.5 ring gear, even if 28 spline, it was 5x5.

But, I'm not sure....aftermarket replacement axles typically will have multiple stud pattern options, and after 13+ years, the original axles may be ready for door-stop duty anyway.

FINALLY....I don't know what the difference in dimensions may be, ie. axle housing width or shaft length. If you can find the Moser listings, or Superior, or Yukon, or Tom's Differential, you can probably get an idea.

·
Administrator
6,192 Posts
Yes, but who would go to 5x4.75 and use stock wheels? I changed my 71 to the small pattern by re-drilling. The wheels I run on it just happen to be hub centric out of the box. I wonder if manufacturers make the wheels to match the biggest hub, then spec rings for the smaller hubs? Maybe it was just a lucky coincidence...

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Yes, but who would go to 5x4.75 and use stock wheels?
Ask Mike Longfellow (Nemesis)....15x8 Corvette aluminum slots on a 5x5 9C1--but I agree, typically it is to provide a broader range of choices for wheels, most probably aftermarket. I don't know how the wheel industry approaches this, but I do think the hub-centric ring is part of the answer....expect to hear from Firewood any time!!!

My further point regarding older axles in new(er) housing--91 & up--was that I do not know with certainty that there is a housing width match between pre-91 and 91-96, regardless of any other considerations....ie. whether ANY pre-91 shafts are compatible based on length, no matter what pattern. Wheel bearings are not the issue--same size on sedans, even if 7.5/7.625 ring gear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.