Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I'd share my thoughts on this exhaust system and post a few pictures on the forum in case any other Impala owners are interested in going this route.

I'd spent a few month's tossing around the idea of upgrading the exhaust on my (new to me) '95 Impala SS. Spent a lot of time on YouTube listening to sound-clips and of coarse, researching here on the forums.

It didn't take long to discover FlowMaster and SpinTech were considered by many to be the exhaust of choice for the B-Body. The trouble was, after listening to sound clips on line, I came to the conclusion that their sound just wasn't what I looking for with my car...

I always thought of these Impala SS, as modern day muscle cars, and like the muscle cars of the 60's and 70's - I've always preferred them to have a muffled, DEEP rumble. Its a sound that I think matches the style of these big, lumbering beasts, perfectly.

Eventually, I came across B&B, but unfortunately I discovered that even though they did offer a cat-back for these cars way back when, it appeared to have been discontinued many years ago.

Even their website made no mention of an Impala exhaust and looking up the old part number on the website, came up with nothing. I thought I was about 10 years too late to the party...

None the less, I decided to make some calls and see if there was any way I could convince them to sell me a new cat-back.

To my surprise, I learned that even though they don't advertise it on their website, B&B will still put together a 94-96 Impala specific exhaust system, but ONLY upon request, since they no longer carried the system in stock.

It's would be one of those "made-to-order" deals...

With no sound clips available and virtually no info on the exhaust from other Impala owners here on the forum, I took a chance and went ahead and placed an order.

It took close to two months before the exhaust system arrived at my door, but it was well worth the wait in my opinion.

First Impressions:

Quality is VERY impressive. The entire system is made of a high-grade stainless steel, front to back - including (2) B&B designed mufflers and (2) high-flow resonators located just before the rear turn-downs. Everything arrived polished - something I've never seen with an exhaust system before. Every length of pipe was mandrel bent with clean welds throughout.

Quality wise, the B&B is easily on par with any Borla/Corsa system I've run in the past with other cars. Nothing had to be cut or modified in any way. Pipes were all perfect lengths and the system tucked up nicely to the body with no clearance issues. "Stealth" style turn-down tips exit just below the rear bumper although they do have offer a more "traditional" style tip, that exits in front of the bumper as well.

With the turn-downs, the tips are hidden from view with only the resonators being visible from the side, hence the name "stealth tips".

It's an old school design in that it doesn't use a cross-over pipe of any kind, so you can actually hear the individual cylinders firing through the tail pipes, just like the old muscle cars.

Very cool.

Although I can't comment on what the system sounds like with the factory manifolds in place (I installed headers at the same time I did the exhaust) - I can say that WITH headers, this has to be the deepest, smoothest sounding exhaust I've ever head on an LT1 car.

No popping, or cackling when you rev the engine. If you didn't know better and just heard the car idle, you'd swear it was a 60's Big Block car. Not loud. Just deep.

Under light throttle conditions like highway cruising or regular stop and go traffic, there's virtually no drone, but you do hear the deep rumble whenever you apply the gas. Wide open throttle and the system ROARS to life.

Again, not obnoxiously loud and raspy but a very controlled, muffled tone, not unlike a V8 AMG Mercedes. In fact, that would probably be the best way to describe the sound if anyone was curious to have a listen. Look up an AMG V8 on YouTube and you'll get a pretty good idea of what this system sounds like.

Sound clips of my car will come soon, but it's still winter out now, so it won't be for a while. The car's in the garage right now while I finish up a few more winter goodies...

These pictures should at least give an idea of what the system look like.

Highly recommended.

Enjoy.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Few more pictures to add...

This system, as I mentioned earlier, is completely bolt-on. There was no cutting/modification of any kind to be made. However, once everything was installed, lined up and tightened down, I decided to add a few small tack welds added in various spots, just to keep the pipes from twisting out of alignment. Nothing was welded in permanently.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
This is a man after my own heart. I hate a raspy sounding exhaust. I always thought the 1968 440 Road Runner was near perfection in exhaust sound. Nice to know that there are still things for our tubs. I await your sound clips.

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
Dan, Thanks for the good laugh this morning. I really needed it.:smile2:

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
8,056 Posts
Commendable write-up, thanks Mr. -95. The first shot of the muffs look like they're 24" long! As you say, impressive quality. A couple ques: I mighta missed it, but what design are the muffs? Is any packing material used? Also, you appear to have an oem stab bar. The aft portion of those OTA pipes appear to have the oem 'descent bend' that I unfortunately encountered on the Summit/Jegs catback I attempted to install on my Impala SS. Aftermarket stab bars may interfere in that area (HO in my case). Sano install. And undercarriage too!.

·
Registered
8,056 Posts
Quote: WTW?

Post #25:
https://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/22-exhaust/1236793-does-anyone-have-catback-system.html

With the Summit/Jegs kit (by TheartThrob, which the guy there says they manufacture to mimic oem) it took cuts to the intermediates and OTA fronts to center the OTAs over the axle and to get the mufflers to perfectly match layout. Then the forward part of the tails hung way too low so purely for visuals I cut the upright part of the rear OTAs to tuck the tails up as close to the frame as possible. That "should have" helped even more to clear the stab bar, - but alas no. I could see no amount of cutting on either the OTA or tailpipe was going to clear the interference, only move it to a different part of the bar. This was not an issue with the 'no drop' bend design of my prior SLP catback. Just volunteering a heads-up when installing descending bend oem design with some aftermarket bars.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Glad you guys like the pictures. :smile2:

Personally speaking, I've always liked to be able to "see" something before I buy it - so I usually hit the interwebs before I make any purchase and look for pictures of whatever it is I'm looking to buy. Always like looking at forum threads showing the actual part in "real-world" conditions as opposed to "marketing shots" on a company website...

Hopefully these pictures stay up for a good long while, so future Impala owners have at least something to look at so they know what they'd be buying.

I've noticed that pic's are pretty scarce on these forums. Trying to change that one post at a time. :laugh:

As for the question regarding packing material inside the mufflers, yes, there's apparently two different types used, a stainless steel mesh as well as a high temperature ceramic material.

If you look at the 2nd to last picture in my first post, that's about all you can be seen through the muffler inlet. The perforated walls of the square tubing used. Nothing more. But the packing materials are in there just the same.

If anyone's interested in the details of the construction of these mufflers, I found this page on-line, which will explain things far better than I can. Hope this helps.

https://www.bbexhaust.com/why-we-are-different/muffler-design/

Previous Exhaust Set-Up:

If anyone's curious, the exhaust that was on the car originally when I purchased it in late 2016 was a "Pypes" brand cat-back. It didn't take long to figure out that I didn't care much for this exhaust. It was only marginally louder then what you'd expect a stock exhaust would sound like. But that wasn't the reason for my not liking it...

The real problem was the amount of resonance inside the car. Especially at cruising speeds. No matter what rpm I was cruising in, the drone inside the cabin was bad enough that it just became an annoyance - especially long trips on the freeway.

The other issue I wasn't thrilled with (and I discovered this the day I drove it home after purchase) - was the noticeable vibration throughout the car whenever I'd reach a full stop. My first guess was that the exhaust was touching something underneath the car.

Sure enough, after putting it up on a hoist, I discovered the x-pipe was rubbing up against the transmission cross-member. The cause of this, I couldn't say for sure - might have been installer error or just a bad cross-over design...

Regardless, I played around with the x-pipe to try and angle it as far away from the cross member as I could, but unfortunately managed to only trade one problem for another.

I managed to angle the x-pipe in such a way that it was no longer up against the cross member, so the vibration was now gone, (that was the good part) but now every time I'd drive over a speed bump or hit a rough patch on the road, the x-pipe would bounce up and hit the cross-member with a loud "thud". This got annoying, fast.

Since I'd just bought the car and didn't want to replace the whole exhaust system, I decided that I'd try tackling the drone problem first by replacing the Pypes Mufflers. Eventually I made up my mind and decided to try out a set of DynoMax "VT" mufflers.

They were pretty damn nice. Quite. Really quite. I mean, so quite you couldn't even hear the exhaust inside the car at idle. It was an eerie feeling not knowing if my car was even even running.

These mufflers would be perfect for anyone looking for the ultimate quite ride.

At wide open throttle though, they were still quite. Not that I was looking for anything super loud, but hell, I wanted to hear SOMETHING out of the exhaust when I goosed it.

This was ridiculous...

In the end, I just chalked it up to the fact I was still using the stock manifolds and cats and figured the VT's would eventually "open up" a bit over time, or at least wake up after I'd installed installed headers in the future...

Pypes x-pipe exhaust:

Some pictures of the Pypes system previously on the car and a shot of the cut out I made showing the inside of the Pypes "RacePro" muffler that came with the exhaust. I have no doubt it's good performing muffler.

You can see in the picture below, it's basically s straight through design. But man, the amount of drone was just too much for my liking and it wasn't even a "loud" muffler - so I'm at a loss to explain how it could create so much drone when the mufflers themselves were so quite to begin with.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
DynoMax VT:

As far as my take on the Dynomax VT's - I ran them for a couple of month's and was pleased, overall. They did get a little louder over time, which was good, because now I could at least hear the car running, but still weren't hitting the volume level I was hoping for.

I hung on to them for a while, because they performed well and they produced ZERO drone inside the car. A definite plus.

A few month's later, I finally got around to installing headers and was anxious to hear how the car sounded with them in. To my surprise, these mufflers sounded EXACTLY the same afterwards. No difference at all. Even the tone remained the same. I couldn't believe it. This set-up was still too quite for my liking.

That's when I decided to just bite the bullet and get the B&B.

Below are some pictures of the DynoMax VT's I had retrofitted to the Pypes x-pipe exhaust.

Notice that after only 6 months time they were already showing signs of rust and this car never sees snow/salt. The mufflers are advertised as being stainless steel, but whatever grade they're using, its obviously not immune to rust . The VT's are still really nice mufflers and definitely the ticket for anyone looking for a performance oriented muffler that has no drone, and is quite enough to not attract attention.

But bear in mind, they may be too quite!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
I have the Dynomax VT's and they're definitely not quiet, but they are nowhere near Flowbastard 40's loud either. All that changes once you mat it. When that happens, they get loud. Maybe your set had heavier springs? You are correct about the drone. Absolutely no drone to speak of.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi

I enjoyed read this, I can't wait for your next report Oldhead

·
Registered
626 Posts
I've loved every BB exhaust I've had on my Tahoe's and Avalanche. I've really been contemplating going with a system on my Impala when it is back on the road. In for some sound clips!!!

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
The statement that Flowmaster is the catback of choice is incorrect and never indicated by any experienced person on this forum. Flowmaster is probably the worst of the choices. The catback of choice is the Dynomax Ultraflo SS and/or the Walker frankenstein system. Tri-Y headers are the headers of choice for street cars unless you are running long tube headers. 13 years on the Dynomax Ultraflo 2.5" system with no problems and no drone using the resonators with the system. Still sounds great. The Dynomax systems are not still made but the Frankenstein Walker systems can still be put together. I would not waste time or $$ on anything else, but what do us old guys know.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Impala_95 - Very nice write up on the Billy Boat Exhaust. You seem to be putting together some nice write-ups here for us and need to look thru your "Yank" writeup next. I just wish I had your BankRoll as you are putting in some nice mods...think you are a long lost cousin of mine and I need a loan. 0:)

I too looked at the BB but the co$t was a deciding factor for me and also wanted an "X" or at minimum an "H" pipe on there. In the end I went with the CIA catback and just got his Aluminized Version due to co$t again. Also have some Tri-Y's and Cats ready to go on soon.

As for the Flowmaster's, they do get a bad rap here I think. I had the American Thunder Setup on my '95 for years and really liked it. Installation in my driveway was easy and I really liked the look of the Chromed Straight Pipes without Resonators. The system tucks up well under the car too but this system is no longer available from them. Granted, I was going from a Single Exhaust on a 4.3 at the time so any dual kit I would have loved. But even with the 5.7 added later it seem to perform and sound good to me. The only thing I didn't like about their Catback was the Pipe Diameter was 2.25" and didn't offer any other Muffler options.

Again thx for taking the time to put together these posts. It is really helpful for people to see this kind of stuff and understand "you" can do it if you take your time and have help here from the Forum.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Cost is gonna be the factor with BB exhaust systems. I bought a BB muffler for my M5 some time ago and just the muffler was $1,200

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does this exhaust system give your car throaty sound I too am looking for a sound like that, what did you end paying if you don’t mind me asking? Also post some videos of the car so can hear the sound.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts