Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and an old thread came up with many replies... too bad the info was deleted with the forum crash.
So it looks like the question about b-body hoods fitting in the rear of a wagon has an answer 'cause someone has tried it. What do you think?

I did some quick measurements and it doesn't look good. The widest point horizontally is about 63" or so, and the gate measures about 12" short of that at an angle.

The "show what you haul" thread made me think it was possible to do this due to one response stating a hood was hauled (doesn't say if it was inside or on the roofrack, and no picture evidence).

·
Registered
643 Posts
I tried it and it didn't fit. I had to haul one home in my Venture minivan, because the opening was taller.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I used to do it all the time - you have to put it in sideways, and cushion the side panels so you don't dent the hood. You have to corner (aft) in first, then straighten, then turn toward the corner in again and she'll go. Must remove grille support to do this.

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
It takes 2 people for sure. 5ow and I moved an RMS hood Sunday. Piece of cake with 2 people. Use padding to protect your interior too.

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
Fits with no problem.I did it by myself. But 2 people is much easyer.

·
Super Moderator
8,894 Posts
Did it myself too - but i was transporting a junk hood for other reasons. Yes, pad the heck out of your interior.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used to do it all the time - you have to put it in sideways, and cushion the side panels so you don't dent the hood. You have to corner (aft) in first, then straighten, then turn toward the corner in again and she'll go. Must remove grille support to do this.
Whoa, thanks for all the replies, everyone. This will make my life a lot easier.

Sideways? Does that mean the hood will be right side up (top of the hood - up) still, but just angled in?

Thanks

I will have to take pics and add it to the "haul" thread. :)

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Shiny side down and sideways will fit. Just walk the back corner around thru the opening to get it started in. I even had the grille still one it. I also had the two front fenders with the inner fenders still attached piled on top. Lots of room.

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
I tried to fit one in my suburban and no way did it come close.but the wagon had plenty of room with padding.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Gonna get scolded

Tie it to the roof. I moved a hood for my monte carlo like this and it was fine. I used 100 feet of rope (that had a warning do not tie large flat objects to the roof) and drove 55-60MPH the whole way home.

It wasn't going anywhere. Don't jack up your interior unless you have to.

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
I just threw a old blanket down in the back.loaded hood and called it a day.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I measured again tonight.... I see how it can fit now. Thanks again for all the replies and testimonies. I had assumed that "frontways" was the narrowest dimension, but looks are deceiving. The sideways trick is heck of a lot narrower.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I did it twice. Hood has to be upside down. With tailgate down, get a corner of the windshield side in above the wheel well trim and allow the leading edge of the hood side down by the opposite side on the floor. Have someone on the inside to tilt the hood to get the other corner of the hood in beyond the door.
I always knew I should have taken pics for just this reason.cwm5

·
Registered
189 Posts
Aw...thats nothing.

I got half of an IKEA store in my wagon once...well at least my back felt that way!

Ok, for real - I got 19 reel to reels, several big boxes and bins of tapes and accessories and a few 8mm projectors in my wagon.

These were the big machines too - Pioneers and Teacs mostly.
It was packed with warm analouge audio goodness! :cool:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is the visual evidence. It definitely fits, and it also definitely fits with the grille on it. Today I moved not one, but two hoods (separately) in the wagon. I'd even say that it fits easily.
Thanks for all the replies.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts