61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
:eek: Subscribed!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I don't recall how many of these kits are out there, I believe four.

Anyways, just wondering if someone might take theirs off, or will be taking it off in the near future, and pull some dimensions, I have access to a water-jet, so the braces wouldn't be a problem?
Just a thought, cause I would like to do a roots SC.

Thanks,
Brian H.

·
Registered
251 Posts
bringing it back from the dead

so after 4 long year in painter jail my car is almost finished and will be back on the streets. sad thing is the 650 rwhp doesn't seem as powerful as it once sounded. there are plenty of stock new cars making this hp or more. anyone else still have their setups installed and running in a car?

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
so after 4 long year in painter jail my car is almost finished and will be back on the streets. sad thing is the 650 rwhp doesn't seem as powerful as it once sounded. there are plenty of stock new cars making this hp or more. anyone else still have their setups installed and running in a car?
Make sure to get some pics/videos when it's done!

The HP war is crazy, isn't it?! That's the struggle I ran into with my build, things take time and by the time you actually realize the dream you also realize the car is nothing beastly anymore compared to the competition. I was shooting for 650WHP which I figured would clean house, and now you've got hellcats making close to that stock and it's not like its rare to see one of them out on the road. I mean it'll still put a B body in the running with any stock Hellcat, ZL1, Coyote mustang but it sucks thinking you did all that work to keep up with stock cars. all it takes is a few bolt ons on a coyote or a pulley and a tune on a hellcat/ZL1 and a b body with 650whp is getting walked hard.

Tough times for us for sure in the B body game. For the longest time when the majority of factory cars came with N/A motors, HP wasn't much different from the 1960's all the way to the early 2000's. Big dog on the block was the LS1 making <350hp in a 3400lb F body. To make a B body king of the road all you needed was heads/cam or maybe a 383 stroker and not much our there would beat you.

Now, good luck keeping up without a built motor AND forced induction, and you probably won't make much more power than a STOCK Hellcat or LT4 despite reduced streetability/reliability over one.

The hot rodding world certainly became much more expensive to be competitive in with the introduction of these relatively common place 650hp+ forced induction factory cars.

I mean 650whp is still a beast no matter how you cut it, it's just when you start comparing it to new stuff that you feel the pain LOL

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Part of the problem too is you start comparing yourself with other people's rides that they really can't afford LOL

I have a friend who leased a hellcat, did a pulley/E85/tune and made damn near 800RWHP. IT'S A LEASED CAR! That's actually not too uncommon anymore. I have another friend that procharged/cammed a LEASED 2017 SS 1LE camaro and made 725WHP. His logic was sell the procharger kit when he turns the lease in, swap the cam back and have a problem free low 10 second car for 3 years for about 15K in lease payments. Get rid of it before he blows something up and then turn it in for a newer, faster model to do it all over again with. These late models are so freaking expensive that more than half the guys I know modding them either have ridiculously long payment plans or lease them, then unload them on some poor soul after they have beaten the crap out of it and trade it in for something else.

I find it's extremely hard to keep up with my buddies in a car that I plan on keeping and pay for completely when they keep rotating into the latest/highest power model car before they ever even get close to paying it off.

I stick it back to them though on track days. I like telling them "technically you didn't beat me, your leasing agency did" or I tell them I only race for titles (which they can't provide) LOL

I'd rather lose but have something awesome, cool and unique that I built than win with some cookie cutter bank owned me too car....but having something cool, unique and garage built that ALSO wins
is always the ultimate goal haha.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Build it to where you enjoy it and it meets your needs. Chasing HP numbers in a world here HP ratings are heading into the stratosphere is a fool's errand or a rich man's game. Especially using a 20+ year old platform.

·
Registered
7,806 Posts
I'd rather lose but have something awesome, cool and unique that I built than win with some cookie cutter bank owned me too car....but having something cool, unique and garage built that ALSO wins
is always the ultimate goal haha.

+1 on every bit of your posts, and +1 millionty on this. Both my cars get more looks and comments parked than any time-payment rig with 3X the hp doing 120. And I draw a steep diminishing return on investment with any car that can already do over twice the national limit right off the showroom floor. And with 5-6 payload. And comfortably. And not counting a trunk with room for 4 more.

- "....sell the procharger kit when he turns the lease in, swap the cam back and have a problem free low 10 second car for 3 years for about 15K in lease payments. Get rid of it before he blows something up...."

Or the 5000% greater probability it's totaled and lessee is trying to figure how to break into the salvage yard to replace all the stock parts so the 'Penalty Clauses' (plural) don't kick in. lol

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Build it to where you enjoy it and it meets your needs. Chasing HP numbers in a world here HP ratings are heading into the stratosphere is a fool's errand or a rich man's game. Especially using a 20+ year old platform.
[I digress]
Totally.
That said, the ability to take a bonestock 2tonne fullsize car in its mid 20s and improve its:
1. 1/4mile from low-mid15sec, to low-13sec/high-12sec
2. handling from 'thought this was a boat, it's a speedboat', to embarrassing 2 seat sportscars costing anywhere from 2x to 7x a Caprice's original sticker price in today's dollars

proves beyond any reasonable doubt that GM was phoning it in with the B-car platform; which is to say that it takes people like us to appreciate the B-car's diamond in the rough' nature.

All we gotta do, is take good care of them. I'd bet that in 2035 there'll be more B- & D- cars surviving on American roads than there will be Chargers Challengers & 300s, including their pitiful V6 variants.
[/I digress]

·
Registered
624 Posts
I'll add that even a solid 400rwhp is MUCH more of a handful in an Impala than any 600+ modern muscle with all the fancy traction control systems.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Chasing HP numbers in a world here HP ratings are heading into the stratosphere is a fool's errand or a rich man's game. Especially using a 20+ year old platform.
Horsepower sells cars. Crossing the finish line 1st wins races. The ultimate measure is the stopwatch.
Again, it's pretty cool that 3.73, some sensibly selected suspension improvements, and a good pcm reprogram, STILL yield impressive improvements after 25 years.
Can't find our ImpalaSS 1/4mile page, but there are still LOTS of 5.7L Caprices in the low 13s, even a few lucky ones in the high 12s.
I'll add that even a solid 400rwhp is MUCH more of a handful in an Impala than any 600+ modern muscle with all the fancy traction control systems.
It's a bit sobering to observe how cars with ≈250 horse have gotten much quicker over the past 25 years, largely because transmissions have mutated from lazily geared 4-speeds in the 90s, to aggressively geared 8- 9- or 10-speeds these days.

Traction Control, Torque Management, and suspension geometry improvements do make more power much easier to handle.
Still, a well-modded 400 horse 5.7L LT1 is a better longterm investment - both in money AND longevity - than most 400 horse cars available today.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts