Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of painting the b & c pillars on my white wagon, anyone who has done this, what shade of black did you use, gloss, semi-gloss or trim black?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I used SEM 15233 Gloss Black

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I sure like a trim / bumper paint in the spray bomb, it just gives such a nice simi-gloss even finish. Its like $6-7 a can but looks so nice. I think flat paint looks to flat and gloss looks to glossy for trim. I guess gloss would look ok if your tring to match the shine of the dark tinted windows.

JIMO

·
Registered
524 Posts
i went to local sign guy and got gloss black vynol cost $20.00 and later if i want i can take it off

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I sure like a trim / bumper paint in the spray bomb, it just gives such a nice simi-gloss even finish. Its like $6-7 a can but looks so nice. I think flat paint looks to flat and gloss looks to glossy for trim. I guess gloss would look ok if your tring to match the shine of the dark tinted windows.

JIMO
I thought about using trim black, i plan on having the widows tinted, but just a light tint, we are not allowed to tint the drivers window, i really don't like a big contrast between the windows. Getting ready to paint the mirrors, i have some base coat gm black i am going to use, thought as long as i had it mixed up, would be a good time to paint the pillars. My fear was that it was going to be to glossy.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Base coat gives off a pretty nice simi gloss apearance, however i question its durability without a clear coat on it, never had base coat out in the sun by itself, my guess is it'll turn chalky pretty fast. U could grab a lil flattner for some clear and do it that way. I'd do a spray out (test pannel) and expieriment with how much flattner you like in the clear.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I went with a glossy black vynil.
If I were painting I'd also go gloss or clearcoat.
The whole point of painting the pillars is to reduce the out-of-place vertical elements on such beautifully horizontal, long-line cars.
My windows aren't even tinted and the blacked out pillars instantly made the car look better.

Why gloss? Wax it with the rest of the car and windows. I can also Bead-x the whole car between waxes.

Imagine how much of a pain in the ass it would be if the pillars were a matte finish.

Or you could go chrome and be ghetto fabulous, LOL!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts