Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
181 - 200 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Dude, I don't know you, but you seem like a good guy. I prayed for your comfort and strength to pull through your personal battle with the health afflictions. It may take awhile, but even this will have silver linings and blessings revealed despite the uncertainties and prolonged recovery period. Stay grounded, stay positive, and keep movin. You can do this! :)

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
Dude, I don't know you, but you seem like a good guy.
Some may disagree, lmao. I do appreciate the kind words and thoughts, though.

I had my CT scan the other day and got arrested on the way home for driving on a suspended license. My license shouldn't have been suspended, it was just a matter of their system being slow. I will elaborate in the future.

As of right now my Audi is still in impound, because I'm going to argue in court tomorrow that they need to give it back for free.

The CT results have only further complicated my situation, for now. The conclusion was basically that the CT was "unremarkable". This is kinda good news. But, there is obviously a communication disconnect here, as there was no mention of the supposed mass that was found on the ultrasound. There was also no mention of the supposed benign tumor at the base of my skull that had been previously diagnosed by a different doctor in 2020. It also doesn't explain what the obvious physical lumps in question ARE. So much weirdness.

I will reserve judgement until I sit down with a live person who can explain the imaging to me. Right now, it seems really contradictory and inconclusive.

I do still have the colonoscopy coming up in May, which will be fun.

The big news in my life right now, on the positive front, is that I am massively upgrading my garage. The goal is to get more serious about fabrication, and production in general.

I mentioned that I got a welder and an angle grinder. Also on the horizon are:

3-axis CNC mill
3D printer
Plastic shredder (so I can recycle plastic into printer filament)
Aluminum melting stuff (for melting aluminum)
20 ton press from Harbor Freight
Eastwood press attachments for bending and breaking?
Wood stove

I want to create a small, efficient shop with low overhead. Reusing and repurposing is fun.

Right now I'm working on planning out the shop space, which will be half of a two-car garage. There will be a small amount of basic remodeling involved, but not too much. More to come.

• Love
Reactions: Marky Dissod

·
Registered
1996 Impala SS
463 Posts
I'd be careful with the plastic shredder and recycling plastic into printer filament. I don't know how much you know but 3D printer filament can be finnicky. I am thinking about upgrading to an ABS enclosure on my 3D printer but I have not decided yet.

Please post mugshot.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
I'd be careful with the plastic shredder and recycling plastic into printer filament. I don't know how much you know but 3D printer filament can be finnicky. I am thinking about upgrading to an ABS enclosure on my 3D printer but I have not decided yet.

Please post mugshot.
Elaborate. I thought the process looked pretty straight forward. Milk jugs, etc.

·
Registered
1996 Impala SS
463 Posts
The problem is that not all plastic is created equal. So if you shred a **** ton of plastic that is different then you will wind up with filament that prints weird OR you'll have to build an enclosure for certain because say some of that plastic is more volatile than others in the open air you will ruin your print.

What printers are you looking at? It is almost not even worth going down the recycled plastic route with the filament being so cheap. Unless you are looking at something commercial grade in which case I wouldn't know the cost comparisons

I'm sure someone else who knows 3D printers better than I could explain this a lot better and a little more scientifically. I meant to ask what are you planning on printing?

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
The problem is that not all plastic is created equal. So if you shred a **** ton of plastic that is different then you will wind up with filament that prints weird OR you'll have to build an enclosure for certain because say some of that plastic is more volatile than others in the open air you will ruin your print.

What printers are you looking at? It is almost not even worth going down the recycled plastic route with the filament being so cheap. Unless you are looking at something commercial grade in which case I wouldn't know the cost comparisons

I'm sure someone else who knows 3D printers better than I could explain this a lot better and a little more scientifically. I meant to ask what are you planning on printing?
I figured I would sort all my plastic by type and color before shredding, so that I can use it as-needed.

Lately I have been looking at the Prusa i3. There are a couple of cheaper ones on Amazon that I am also considering.

As far as what I'm printing, well, I'm not sure what I will use the recycled plastic for. Obviously it won't be suitable for everything. In general, I plan to print everything from trim pieces to air dams to polyurethane stuff. I should also be clear that the metal products I plan to actually sell will be made from quality material and not my Diet Mountain Dew cans. Recycling will be more to cut costs on my own hobby fabrication.

My first court date went really well this morning. The judge and opposing attorney acknowledged that my fine was paid more than a week before this arrest, and so I got a court order signed by the judge stating such. Case closed.

Then, I took an Uber to the other county. They were not very forgiving. The prosecutor didn't even want to see the order from this other judge. She offered me court supervision because I have a clean record, and since I'm nuts, I told her to go **** herself (not in those words). I told them to get me a date for jury status. The offer of court supervision still meant that I had to pay over $1300 in cash for bail and impound fees, plus whatever extra court fees they tack on.

So, for right now I just have to pay out of pocket to get my car back and then go fight these idiots in court. I have a couple of different defenses that I'm aware of so far, but I have to dig into it a bit more. At the very least, they will give me my money back in labor hours.

·
Registered
1996 Impala SS
463 Posts
Wow very nice. I have the Ender Pro 3 and I use it to make stuff…

I am looking at perhaps building my enclosure later this year to print in ABS not real sure yet. I have two projects that need to work 100% before I even think about getting an enclosure.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
Another general update...

Regarding my "criminal" case, I submitted all my proof to the state regarding my license, insurance, fine payment, etc. I'm still waiting for a response. Right now we are set for jury pre-trial in August.

Regarding health... Still no word on any of my imaging. I may have to go get a reading done on my own, privately. I'm not convinced my providers are even competent. Medicaid is awesome when you have really basic needs like medication and routine procedures; really quick and easy. It's a nightmare when you are dealing with more serious issues.

I had my colonoscopy on 5/25, and the only thing they found in my butt was hemorrhoids, which is awesome. I do not have Gardner's or the FAP gene mutation, which is a victory.

Strangely, the gastroenterologist was unable to sedate me. The first dose of anesthesia had almost no effect. They decided to give me a second dose, and the second gave me a little bit of a buzz, but that's it. I was still just sitting there, completely lucid and conversational. We went ahead anyway, and so I just laid there watching my own colonoscopy on a flat screen. They were supposed to do an upper GI endoscopy, but it was a failure. They had to reschedule me for a future date when they can have someone there to do full monitored anesthesia like you would do with a major surgery.

The gastroenterologist thinks I may have celiac disease, so he is going to do a tissue biopsy during the endoscopy.

In car news...

I haven't touched the Fleetwood. I bought a Tahoe a couple weeks back, and it has been stealing all of my focus.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
Regarding my "criminal" case, I submitted all my proof to the state regarding my license, insurance, fine payment, etc. I'm still waiting for a response. Right now we are set for jury pre-trial in August.
I forgot to mention that I submitted this stuff because the case was assigned to a new prosecutor, and she said she would be willing to look at my proof.

The Fleetwood is going to be my designated tow rig when it is complete, and that means making some suspension changes.

I think the Monroe SS shocks will be too stiff, at least in the rear. The 9c1 coils can probably stay. Maybe I should change the shocks and add some helper bags that I can adjust.

I've been doing some audio planning lately. I'm pretty excited about the system I'm building, just because I've been enjoying the puzzle of piecing it together properly.

I've got an Infinity amp from a Chrysler 300M with the "Infinity II" system, which puts out 360w through 9 output channels. This system was described as "11 speakers in 9 locations", although this claim has been challenged. To put it simply: Most folks would say that a coaxial speaker is still one speaker.

Gas Rectangle Font Auto part Composite material

A lot of people probably don't understand why I would want to mess around with a factory amp from the junkyard. Aside from the fact that I enjoy tinkering, I do have a few logical points to be made.

For one, you have the cheap initial purchase price. Maybe it's just me, but, cheap aftermarket amps make me nervous, and I feel more comfortable with a premium factory amp. Then you have the benefit of easy replacement. If the amp ever goes out, I can just go get another one from the junkyard and be back up and running.

Of course, you can't just walk into Walmart or Best Buy and pick up a 9-channel amp for cheap. This Infinity amp gives me a fairly elaborate stereo in a simple, affordable package.

There are a few downsides. This particular amp uses a combination of 2 ohm and 4 ohm speakers, as well as internal crossovers for each channel. What this means is that you need to be very careful about speaker selection. You can't just buy a bunch of aftermarket speakers and wire them up and expect it to sound good. The other major complaint about this system is the lack of bass, but that is easily remedied by adding an additional amp and sub.

The general format of the 9 channels, and my plans for them, are as follows:

Midbass 2 ohm (2x factory Pioneer 8" DVC subs from GMC Terrain, 2.5 ohm)
Midbass 2 ohm (2x factory Bose 6x9s from Malibu LTZ, 2 ohm)
Full range 4 ohm (2x aftermarket 6.5" coaxials, 4 ohm)
High frequency 4 ohm (2x factory Bose tweeters from Mazda RX-8, 4 ohm)
Full range center 4 ohm (1x random aftermarket speaker, 4 ohm)

I really like the idea of having so many different speakers complimenting each other.

The 8" Terrain subs will fit perfectly in the rear deck of the Fleetwood, and I figure I will set them in foam baffles. I wouldn't normally put subs in the rear deck, but in this case I figure it will be okay for midbass.

Product Audio equipment Font Technology Circle

Once I get this assembled, I will buy a cheap mono amp for a single 10" sub in the trunk.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 · (Edited)
The shop equipment is getting ordered now.

Prusa i3 kit
Mill Right Mega V XL w/ 4th axis
Creality Scan Lizard 3D Scanner
?
?
?

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
FINALLY the engine is painted.

I think I'm going to drop it in this morning after I finish my coffee.

Then, it's time to start dressing her up.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 · (Edited)
A few months back, I decided to sell my ceramic-coated Tri-Ys and replace them with something cheaper. Yesterday, this cheaper solution arrived on my porch.

I scored a set of old Hooker shorties from Nab for cheap. I will clean them up and hopefully get a few years out of them.

Scaled reptile Wood Cuisine Serpent Snake

While these headers have received their fair share of complaints over the years, I think they will be just fine for my usage.

As life would have it, the first set of headers I ever owned was a set of these same Hooker shorties. They were on my black 94 B4U that ran 14.8 in the quarter with no other mods. Stock exhaust pipes and stock programming. I crashed that car before I got to really dig into it.

Also included in the deal was a 58mm BBK throttle body. Now I need to modify my intake manifold.
Automotive lighting Headlamp Saw Home appliance Motor vehicle

@sherlock9c1 is sending me a set of his 26# ethanol-safe injectors, which will compliment my build nicely.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Hope you plan on some kind of heat management coating for those headers ...

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
Hope you plan on some kind of heat management coating for those headers ...
I'm going to spray them with a few coats of BBQ paint, and then wrap where necessary.

·
Registered
“91” Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
350 Posts
Don't envy you cleaning them. Hope you have a blast cabinet or someone who does.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
Don't envy you cleaning them. Hope you have a blast cabinet or someone who does.
My friend said the same thing.

What I actually had was a drill, a wire wheel, and a Bret Weinstein podcast. It went pretty well.

Sleeve Knee Grey Thigh Art

They are what they are: A set of functional headers that will get my build finished.

Reactions: buickman1
181 - 200 of 232 Posts