Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum so I figured I'd make a intro post. Just picked up a 1995 Impala SS with 81,000 miles. The car has been parked in a driveway since 2008. These have been my dream cars since I was a kid. My plans are to restore the interior, redo the suspension, LS swap, and eventually do paint and bodywork.
Wheel Automotive side marker light Car Automotive parking light Tire

Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light Car

Attachments

·
Registered
1996 Impala SS
475 Posts
Welcome back, but I’d keep that LT1 in there most of everybody here would agree that with the right parts like heads, cam, try-y headers, a good 2.5” catback exhaust, a torque converter, a pcm tune, and some 3.73 gears, your Impala will perform, sound better than an LS. It’s that distinct firing order of the LT1, that you don’t get with an LS. Just my $.02

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Welcome back, but I’d keep that LT1 in there most of everybody here would agree that with the right parts like heads, cam, try-y headers, a good 2.5” catback exhaust, a torque converter, a pcm tune, and some 3.73 gears, your Impala will perform, sound better than an LS. It’s that distinct firing order of the LT1, that you don’t get with an LS. Just my $.02
Regarding a Gen3 swap: quite a bit of prep work to be done; any 'LS 'swap' takes money AND time; it's not a simple or quick plug & play upgrade (and if it is, it costs even MORE).

Next, if you swap in a 5.3L V8, now you're ALSO gonna want / need to upgrade the cam heads and valvetrain anyway because it's only a 5.3L.
Probably cheaper to find a 6.0L, than to stroke a 5.3L ...

Point is:
A) probably quicker to buy a Holden Caprice PPV, install 3.45 or 3.73 axle gear, and reprogram the ecm & tcm
B) probably quicker and cheaper to buy Advanced Induction or Lloyd Elliott cam heads and valvetrain for your LT1

As to the LS vs LT sound:
I doubt anyone will ever find out what an IronBlock LT1 with an LS firing order sounds like, but it probably sounds better in an iron block than in an aluminium block.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Thanks for saving another one and welcome back!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I'm aware of what it will take to LS swap it. I have nothing against the LT1 but I have a cammed/ported heads/LS6 intake 5.3 on the stand ready to be dropped in. I prefer them myself. We usually go to LS Fest East every year so it's a goal of mine to get it there aswell

·
Registered
500 Posts
Video won't ever do it justice tbh. Probably sounds a lot better once you hear it in real life.

I personally like the lt1 noises also. But if I had one of the newer engines with intoxicating blower whines id take that.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Well, I apologize for chumming the water then fishing .
I very much believe exhaust, cam and compression play a huge part.

That chassis dyno video clip is my car from about 20 years ago.
LT1, Heads ,Cam , Compression , Tri Ys

What it does share with my LS7 is the same exhaust.
3 inch X , headpipes, Walker 17770s 3 inch tail pipes.
It didnt sound a lot different than it does now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts