Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks!
5 years ago I owned a 1995 Chevrolet Caprice Wagon in Germany.
I loved this forum so much.
2 years later I sold it to buy me my first oldtimer...a 1973 Chrysler New Yorker.
Now 5 years later, I moved to Los Angeles.
I was sure, I want again a big body, but I realize, they are not many good left.
A wagon would be nice to find but at least it´s a sedan.

Last sunday, I bought a 1995 Buick Roadmaster Sedan for $700.
Before the last owner, the car sat 8 years in the californian sun...the Paint is burned.
Anyway, the car have 41.000 original miles and a clean carfax report.
Inside I have the Red Leather Interior...the backseat looks new...front seats almost.
But also the interior need a good clean job...lots of dust.

Today I vacuum the interior and in the rear passenger side under the floormat I have a nice wet carpet with coolant smelly water. :(
I had this problem with my pre-´95 Caprice too...the Heater core broke, but I had a wet carpet in the front passenger side.
Is there a difference between Chevys and Buicks???

My Buick have the Gran Touring Suspension which makes a grumbling noise when I turn off the engine.
The noise is coming from the engine area drivers side under the air filter.
Sometimes the noise even comes up when I open the door with the remote and put the key in the ignition without start the engine.
Is there maybe a leak in some hose?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
My Buick have the Gran Touring Suspension which makes a grumbling noise when I turn off the engine. The noise is coming from the engine area drivers side under the air filter.
Sometimes the noise even comes up when I open the door with the remote and put the key in the ignition without start the engine. Is there maybe a leak in some hose?
The compressor that runs the air leveling system is located behind the front bumper, drivers side. That is the noise you are hearing, which is common. You may want to check for leaks especially on the compressor. The air hoses that they use deteriorate of 20 years.

Tom C.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Tom,

thanks for your respond!
So I have to get rid of the front bumper first to reach the compressor?

What can cause the wet carpet in the passenger area at the back?

Thanks!

The compressor that runs the air leveling system is located behind the front bumper, drivers side. That is the noise you are hearing, which is common. You may want to check for leaks especially on the compressor. The air hoses that they use deteriorate of 20 years.

Tom C.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
So I have to get rid of the front bumper first to reach the compressor?
Thanks!
Hi Piot

No you don't have to take the bumper off. I just removed the compressor off my RMW last week, so it is fairly fresh in my mind. I had the tire off already, you may want to do that, although not sure if it's necessary. The compressor is mounted to the outer side of the frame, driverside, not far from the bumper.

You need to remove a plastic cover piece that will allow you to see the compressor, probably 4 or 5 screws.

As for the water leak, it could be a bunch of things. It might be the heater core, which is a common problem. Where it sat for 8 years, I thing I would pull out the seats and rug, and access the damage if any. Search around on the site, as water problems are as common as it gets.

Good luck

Tom

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for help!
Found the problem.
Under the car, next to the left front wheel is a thin plastic hose.
I recognize a "air coming out" sound from that area.
It was a small hole in the hose where air comes out.
That caused the compressor get confused and made noise.
Now is everything fine again.
Should I when I turn off the engine recognize, that the car is going lower a little?

Hi Piot

No you don't have to take the bumper off. I just removed the compressor off my RMW last week, so it is fairly fresh in my mind. I had the tire off already, you may want to do that, although not sure if it's necessary. The compressor is mounted to the outer side of the frame, driverside, not far from the bumper.

You need to remove a plastic cover piece that will allow you to see the compressor, probably 4 or 5 screws.

As for the water leak, it could be a bunch of things. It might be the heater core, which is a common problem. Where it sat for 8 years, I thing I would pull out the seats and rug, and access the damage if any. Search around on the site, as water problems are as common as it gets.

Good luck

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts