Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas I have a 94 9c1, lt1 engine. yesterday while cruising on the interstate I was doing a little heavy accelerating and my baby shut off on me. When it shut off it jumped a little then died. Fired right back up and cruised fine. Once I got on the throttle again she shut off again. The low oil level light flashed and the check gauge light lit up. After a few moments of sitting she fired up and rode home. I stayed out the throttle the whole ride (hard to do).

I started trying to diagnose the problem. So far I checked oil level, it was fine. I changed the oil, swapped in a new oil level sensor, and checked to make sure the pickup tube was still attached to the oil pump. And checked oil pressure

I then checked fuel pressure, its fine. Exactly where it should be. I changed the fuel filter just cause "why not"

I followed every wire to every sensor to make sure it was all fine since I had a wiring problem before and it all checked out fine.

I then swapped out my ign coil and module with known good ones. Ran fine til I revved it up and she sputtered and died.

I have a newer opti on it. Maybe 5 months old. An acdelco unit. All sensors except vss are new. I have a tune by pcm4less with simple tunes such as egr delete, shift points, etc. Nothing fancy.

I'm lost as to where to keep searching. I was online all night last night on the forum and other sources and haven't found any ideas. Any info or tips is appreciated.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Yes.
Not too long ago, someone gave up on finding an alternative source for the check valves in it, that's why it's still at least $60 for something Dal Slabaugh used to sell for $35. Wonder what he sells it for now?
Anyway, if your Opti-Snorkel is not evacuating ozone, the only hope you have of keeping the engine running, is if you keep your foot out of it.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Did you loc-tight the rotor screws? They are known to loosen up and cause issues at high RPM.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
...I have a tune by pcm4less with simple tunes such as egr delete, shift points, etc...
Have you done anything to the motor or is it stock or stock-like? It's been a long time since I researched/read up on this, but was under the suspicion that the EGR delete was for upgraded/aftermarket cams that didn't require it. If this is the case, it sure does sound like you're bogging at WOT and the delete may be a contributing factor here.

If BH said the delete would be fine w/ a stock cam, then carry on sir.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you loc-tight the rotor screws? They are known to loosen up and cause issues at high RPM.

inside the opti? Or the ones that hold the opti on? Either way I didn't loc-tight sny of them. The opti was a new unit so I didn't think it needed to be opened.

Have you done anything to the motor or is it stock or stock-like? It's been a long time since I researched/read up on this, but was under the suspicion that the EGR delete was for upgraded/aftermarket cams that didn't require it. If this is the case, it sure does sound like you're bogging at WOT and the delete may be a contributing factor here.

If BH said the delete would be fine w/ a stock cam, then carry on sir.

Its a stock motor. Do you think after 5 months of driving it'd suddenly be a crippling problem? I need to research the egr setup all together. I know nothing of its functions or anything

I'm continuing attempting to get this thing fixed but I'm past my knowledge of these motors already.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Its a stock motor. Do you think after 5 months of driving it'd suddenly be a crippling problem? I need to research the egr setup all together. I know nothing of its functions or anything
EGR Sticky

I'm just thinking you left the original on and had the EGR system disabled through programming. That doesn't mean a physical problem w/ the valve or conduit will prevent the gases from entering into the intake. Did you block off the EGR w/ a plate or are the original components still there?

Anyway, I doubt that's the sole cause but pointed it out as something to look at.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Inside the opti. The screws that hold the rotor on. Sounds like a no.
That's a definite no. Guess I should have done a little more research when I was installing everything. Guess I'll read up and do that just to know its done.

EGR Sticky

I'm just thinking you left the original on and had the EGR system disabled through programming. That doesn't mean a physical problem w/ the valve or conduit will prevent the gases from entering into the intake. Did you block off the EGR w/ a plate or are the original components still there?

Anyway, I doubt that's the sole cause but pointed it out as something to look at.
Its all plated off with ebay plates. Except the exhaust manifold, its welded closed. I am gonna check into the plates and gaskets conditions to see if that could be a problem.

Thanks for the help fellas. Its raining outside so ill be reading up all night

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.