Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which wires in the transmission harness that attatches to the shifter are the reverse lights and neutral safety switch? I'm done installing my Pro Ratchet shifter and figured it was about time i hooked up those circuits so i can actually start my car sometime =P Any help is appreciated.

-Matt Norris

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Reverse is the Lt. Green wire in cavity B
Park/Neutral is the Yellow wire in cavity F

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reverse is the Lt. Green wire in cavity B
Park/Neutral is the Yellow wire in cavity F

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The wires aren't in the transmission harness, they are in the steering collum, or in the case of a 96 SS, in the old floor shifter. I found all the wires I needed in the white half moon shaped switch at the base of my steering collum. It popped right off, and I knew it was the right switch because there is a slider in it, and when I slid it, the reverse lights came on.

I haven't figured out the neutral safety switch wires yet.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my shifter harness,
F is yellow
E is purple
D is Green
C is pink
B is orange
A is black

according to the other post, my colors are different than his color/cavity match. Is it definetly cavity B and F? Thanks

-Matt Norris

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Y'all are trying to speak 3 different languages (under dash, tranny, shifter) :D

Matt : since you have a 96 SS, it is gonna be (by far) easiest to just pull them from the connector on the stock floor shifter. Don't have the FSM with me right now, but the info is there and pretty obvious from the wiring diagram.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what im asking, i've pulled the old shifter out and everything, cut the harness already, I just need a confirmation on what exact cavity the 2 wires are in. Because Z's info is crossed up on one of the cavities, and I'm just trying to get a 2nd confirmation =)

-Matt Norris

·
Registered
2 Posts
The wires aren't in the transmission harness, they are in the steering collum, or in the case of a 96 SS, in the old floor shifter. I found all the wires I needed in the white half moon shaped switch at the base of my steering collum. It popped right off, and I knew it was the right switch because there is a slider in it, and when I slid it, the reverse lights came on.

I got a 96 caprice and i wanna put a universal b&m floor shifter what would i gotta do to get my reverse lights on it

·
Premium Member
4,789 Posts
You want the easiest way??
Spice the b&m lever on the trans to the old lever that goes to the column.
Remove the lever on the column.
Cut the lump off the column.
( there used to be smooth sleeve , like from a late floor shift G body but it is NLA )

This way all the ign lock outs, rev lamp PN info to pcm, lock in park with key out , cant remove key in gear,,,,,,all will work as before.

Before someone says that is stupid, GM did it that way from 70 to 77 and it worked great.
When my car was a floor shift auto, i did it that way with the G body column part.
Worked flawlessly.

Also, if your caprice happens to be a 9C1, it won't have the inhibit relay . If you choose to run wires to the shift for a park neutral safety you will need heavy gauge wire or a relay.

If you do it the way I am suggesting,,,,,, you dont have to wire anything because it all stsys stock

1 - 10 of 10 Posts