Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test drove a BBB today and the power off the line seemed to be lacking.....even for an out of tune LT1.....slow to the point my saturn would beat it in a drag race. I noticed once the car got up to speed, power was on tap without a problem, then I noticed as it went to shift around 55mph the car was bouncing off the rev limiter, if I let off for a second, I could get back on the throttle and the car would have caught 3rd by that point.

I know this is a transmission problem, it seems like it doesn't want to shift out of 2nd. I think the car is starting in 2nd, then reluctantly shifting through 3rd and 4th. (Highway RPM's were normal).

Any ideas what the cause of the failure is....stuck solinoid? Worn clutches doesn't explain the lack of downshifting to me.....but I could be wrong.

· Super Moderator
1,886 Posts
I test drove a BBB today and the power off the line seemed to be lacking.....even for an out of tune LT1.....slow to the point my saturn would beat it in a drag race. I noticed once the car got up to speed, power was on tap without a problem, then I noticed as it went to shift around 55mph the car was bouncing off the rev limiter, if I let off for a second, I could get back on the throttle and the car would have caught 3rd by that point.

I know this is a transmission problem, it seems like it doesn't want to shift out of 2nd. I think the car is starting in 2nd, then reluctantly shifting through 3rd and 4th. (Highway RPM's were normal).

Any ideas what the cause of the failure is....stuck solinoid? Worn clutches doesn't explain the lack of downshifting to me.....but I could be wrong.

It sounds as maybe its starting in a higher gear than it should. COuld be a solenoid or lack of power to the trans.

Check the EMI fuse under the hood.

If it has power and isnt starting in a higher gear the slow 3rd gear engagement is worn third clutch.

· Registered
358 Posts
Is it throwing a CEL? Even if it isn't, the seller might have pulled the bulb to hide the issue. If you can get access to a scanner while test driving, then look for codes. I know that bad O2's can cause weird shifting and loss of power. So the problem could be simpler than transmission issues -- not saying that it isn't the transmission, just that it might not be.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CEL light was on, battery light was on, ABS light was on, car pulled hard to the left (driving and braking), turn signals didn't work, Odometer didn't work (common problem I know), rear window went down but came off track (again, common problem, I know), tires would need to be replaced in 5k at best, clear coat was gone on bumpers and spoiler.......my first though was trans. issues because of the relative state of disrepair, and I know these cars are prone to rebuilds/replacements at the 80k mark. I understand sometimes these things can be small....but sometimes things can snowball into big $$$ fast, if the rest of the car had been well kept I would have taken the chance that it would be something small.....but with that many things not in order, I couldn't justify the purchase.

I felt bad because for a car in good shape his asking price was fair.....but knowing what could potentially need to be done, I appologized and made him an offer that I felt would allow me to afford the worst case scenario (as always seems to happen to me). Great guy, and I wish him luck in his sale......I would be happy to see it come my way for my offer......but I have discovered recently, you need to put a value on your time.....let alone the parts you need to purchase/salvage/rebuild.

All of my cars need to be capable of driving 1,000 miles without a single thought, and this car needed easily $1,500~$2,500 in parts before I would have felt comfortable lending it to my girlfriend to drive it anywhere.....let alone 1,000 miles away.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.