Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

bad battery causeing problem?

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  impalassdude 
#1 ·
Ok working on a buddys 96.the battery will not take a charge.(shows full charge) starter is new.will start if you jump it.otherwise it just clicks.would this cause the car to have a bad hesitation when you give gas in park but idle fine.fuel pump and tank harness is also new. Thanks for any ideas

Discussion starter · #4 ·
we went and had the battery tested it was way bad!! cables are clean again...but the hesitation is still there,idles perfect..you give it gas slowly and it is perfect but any quick tap of the throttle and it boggs down bad.tried cleaning the throttle body and maf.no change.if you try to power brake it..forget it..it will try to die.fuel pressure is good at 40-42 psi and stays there.i think he has a bad throttle body or crap in it.but we are out of ideas.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Need to check the egr, coil, plugs, wire's, opti, etc....

Could be anything. FYI: The EGR is not functional in Park or Neutral ~ might start there for proper operation.
Did a new opti and harness plus water pump today.EGR is new also.never did plus and wires.getting a CEL now 0300 random misfire.

Discussion starter · #11 ·
Oh, I didn't realize you did all that.

Start it up while its dark and look for any spark leaks in the wires [especially that #7 wire]. It could be old wires leaking. Also try dielectric grease in the spark plug boot ends and check for any corrosion in the lead [coil] wire.

I put new wires on mine except for the coil wire [wrong '96 style sent] and it still had a miss. It was the coil wire in my case and I tell you, I couldn't get much out of the engine due to stumbling, backfiring, etc...
I told my buddy to do plus and wires.don't know if he did it yet.we looked at coil wire but it looked ok but I know that doesn't mean much.thanks for the idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.